Fareham Borough Council has approved its Corporate Strategy for the next six years. The document sets out the Council's vision and strategic priorities for 2011-2017. Extensive consultation with residents and community groups has shown a high level of support for the updated strategy.
Executive Leader of Fareham Borough Council, Councillor Seán Woodward, said: "We are encouraged that residents are pleased with the way the Council runs things and that it provides good value for money. At a time when resources are scarce, we will continue to focus on the most important issues that the Council needs to address over the next six years to ensure Fareham remains an attractive and prosperous place to live, work and visit."
The priorities for improvement are:
AFFECTING ALL PRIORITIES
1) Plan for a new sustainable community to the north of Fareham which achieves high environmental and design standards and provides a wide range of transport choices.
Protect and Enhance the Environment
2) Reduce the quantity of household waste and maximise the amount that is reused or recycled.
3) Provide leadership to residents and businesses in the borough to reduce energy usage, conserve natural resources and save money.
Maintain and Extend Prosperity
4) Work with government and developers to deliver a thriving aviation-led employment area at Daedalus that is supported by a viable airfield.
5) Further improve Fareham town centre to provide enhanced shopping and public facilities, with improved access and parking.
6) Work to support economic growth and improved skills through the Partnership for Urban South Hampshire (PUSH) and the Solent Local Enterprise Partnership.
A Safe and Healthy Place to Live and Work
7) Work with our Community Safety Partnership to continue to reduce anti-social behaviour and crime in Fareham.
Leisure for Health and Fun
8) Provide community facilities at the Coldeast site to include a swimming pool, cemetery, allotments, parkland and sports pitches.
9) Implement the findings of our review of community centres and sports pavilions and modernise buildings as appropriate, with the replacement of Portchester Community Centre being a high priority.
10) Develop new and improved parks, play areas and sports facilities using developers' contributions and external funding.
A Balanced Housing Market
11) Enable the provision of 500 new affordable homes by 2017.
12) Modernise and improve sheltered accommodation across the Borough.
Strong and Inclusive Communities
13) Tackle the underlying causes of deprivation through projects such as the Fareham Park 'Gateway' Project.
14) Focus on customer needs and satisfaction through improved communications and targeted service delivery.
Dynamic, Prudent and Progressive Council
15) Maximise the value gained from assets that are owned by the Council.
16) Saving money, raising income and working in partnership with others to achieve more for less and continue to minimise council tax increases.
Notes to Editors:
The first version of the Council's corporate vision and objectives was adopted by the Council in January 2003 and updated over subsequent years. The Council's Executive agreed in October 2010 that it was an appropriate time to update the vision and set new priorities for the next six years. The latest version was formally adopted by the Council on 23 June 2011.
The Corporate Strategy 2011-2017 can be viewed on the Council's website: /council/intro.aspx
For further information contact:
Janine Hensman, PR and Marketing Support Officer, tel: 01329 824302
fax: 01329 824505, e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org
This and previous media releases can be viewed on the Council’s website: www.fareham.gov.uk/pressreleases