Technical Specifications for Private Hire Vehicles
Not all vehicles available on the commercial market are suitable to be licensed as a Private Hire vehicle and Fareham Borough Council has therefore approved certain standards to guide proprietors on the type of vehicle considered suitable bearing in mind public comfort and safety and the legal requirements previously mentioned to assist owners when considering licensing their vehicle as a Private Hire vehicle in the Fareham Borough.
These standards are:
- There is no age limit on Private Hire vehicles when they apply to be licensed, however they must be immaculate condition both mechanically and cosmetically and expected to remain in first class condition whilst they are licensed.
- The vehicle must be right hand drive. Conversions from left to right hand drive will not be accepted for a hackney carriage licence.
- The vehicle must not have less than four wheels
- The vehicle must have a minimum of four doors, 2 doors must be available to all passengers seated in the vehicle for ease of access and egress.
- The rear seat of the vehicle when measured from edge to edge must be at least 1220mm (48 inches)
- The wheelbase of the vehicle must be at least 2540mm (100 inches) measured from the centre of the front wheel to the centre of the real wheel.
- No tip-up, fold-down or push-forward mechanisms will be accepted in the vehicle, there must be ease of access and egress to all passengers. (see item 4) this requirement applies to all types of vehicles.
- The vehicle must be so constructed to carry a minimum of 4 passengers in comfort.
- It is a requirement of the Council that seat belts be provided for all persons seated in the vehicle, however, there are exemptions under the Department of Transport Child Car Seat rules and a copy of the leaflet can be obtained from the Council's Licensing Section.
- The seat belt notice must be displayed inside the vehicle.
- The Private Hire licence number should be displayed on the plate provided on the vehicle in the area of the rear bumper.
- Advertising may include a strip (not illuminated) on the windscreen and or rear window showing the name or trade name and the telephone number of the firm operating the vehicle. The lettering of which must not exceed 2.5 inches in height.
- You may also advertise on the front driver and passenger door panels, this advertising to contain the name, telephone number and the phrase 'pre-booked only'. This type of advertising must be passed by an authorised licensing officer prior to being placed on the vehicle.