Choosing your arborist
Tree work – choosing your arborist
To care for your trees properly we recommend that you employ a qualified and competent arborist (tree surgeon) to do the work. Tree work needs a high degree of technical competence, supported by training and experience. For these reasons tree work should only be undertaken by well trained, competent arborists.
Questions you should ask an arborist
Asking for a quote (a reputable arborist will always give a positive response)
- Are you insured?
- If yes please show evidence – employers' liability & public liability (recommended minmum £5 million)
- Do you work to a British Standard?
- If yes, which one? It should be BS3998
- What qualifications do you and your staff hold? (ask to see copies)
- Compulsory: Must have NPTC* certificates for chainsaw use
- Recommended: Certificates for other skills and machines. Arboricultural knowledge e.g. National Certificates and Diplomas
- Will you provide a written quotation?
- If no, reject this contractor
- Are you a member of a professional organisation?
- Membership does not guarantee work standards but does show a degree of commitment
- Can you provide me with the phone number of a referee who can show me some of your work?
- If yes, follow up the lead.
Choosing the quote that suits you
When you receive your quotes, check they include these before deciding which one to accept:
- Reference to BS 3998
- Clear and full details of the work to be undertaken
- What will happen to the debris
- Whether VAT is included
- Who will be responsible for obtaining permission if the tree is protected by a tree preservation order (TPO) or within a conservation area.
- What steps will be taken to protect you and your property
For more information, contact our tree team on 01329 236100 ext. 4442 or e-mail email@example.com.