skip to main content

Accessibility and Display Options

Choose accessibility and display settings
Text Preferences
Colour Schemes
Save Close

Cookie preferences

We and our partners use technologies such as cookies on our site to enhance your user experience, personalise content and analyse our traffic.

Accept the recommended settings to consent to the use of this technology on our site.

To change your consent choices at any time please use the toggles below.

For further details, see our Cookie Policy

Accept recommended settings

Essential cookies

Essential cookies enable core functionality such as page navigation and access to secure areas. The website cannot function properly without these cookies; they can only be disabled by changing your browser preferences.

Performance cookies

Performance cookies help us to improve our website by collecting and reporting information on its usage (for example, which of our pages are most frequently visited).

Save and Close


You are here: Home / Business / Business Rates / How Business Rates Are Calculated / Who Has To Pay / Intro.Aspx

Who pays business rates?

The organisation or person occupying a property must pay business rates. If the building is empty, the organisation or person entitled to occupy it is still responsible for paying them. The amount of rates charged at empty properties will vary according to circumstances and the nature of the business carried out. If you become responsible for business rates at a property, or if your property is empty, please contact us.

What if you work from home?

If you work from home, we may charge you business rates for the part of your property you use for work and you will have to pay Council Tax for the rest of it (although your property's valuation band may change). You should contact the Valuation Office  External Hyperlink for advice.

What if you own a holiday home?

Unless you plan to make your holiday home available for hire for at least 140 days a year, you will not have to pay business rates on it but will have to pay Council Tax instead. If you offer bed & breakfast accommodation in your own home to six people (or fewer), you will not be liable for business rates but must pay Council Tax for it. If you hire your holiday home for more than 140 days a year or you provide bed & breakfast for more than six people at any one time, you will have to pay business rates on that part of your property. You must still pay Council Tax on the part you use as your home.


For further information please contact our business rates team on 01329 824651 or by e-mail at

Back to top of page Back to Top How to get here
Fareham Borough Council, Civic Offices, Civic Way, Hampshire, PO16 7AZ
Tel: +44 (0) 1329 236100 | Mobile Text/Photo: 07876 131415
RSS Feeds