Thursday 20 December
Flooding Clean Up Advice
Due to heavy rainfall over night and today there is flooding in the Wallington and Titchfield areas. Fareham Borough Council is advising residents on the basic precautions and steps to take if their property has been flooded.
The first thing to do is to contact your insurance company, who will advise you on what to do. If it is safe to do so and your insurance company have given you the go ahead you should follow some basic precautions. Flood water is likely to be contaminated with sewage so:
- Wear protective equipment including rubber boots, aprons, gloves, goggles and face mask if hosing or pressure washing.
- Cover open cuts with waterproof plasters.
- Take care with Gas & Electrics – If electrical appliances or sockets and wiring have been wet, they must be checked by a competent electrician before use, as should all gas appliances.
- Keep children and pets away from the affected area until it has been cleaned or disinfected.
- Normal disinfectants should be used to clean surfaces and equipment that are used for food preparation or service. Use hot soapy water for all other surfaces and areas.
- Remember to wash hands thoroughly.
- Further information can be found on the Health Protection Agency website at:- http://www.hpa.org.uk/Topics/EmergencyResponse/ExtremeWeatherEventsAndNaturalDisasters/EffectsOfFlooding/
- When dealing with electricity supply and appliances the following precautions should be taken:
- If flood water is likely to come into your property you should turn off the main fuse – but only if safe to do so.
- Do not touch the electricity instillation if you are stood in the water or have wet hands.
- The electricity company will make the supply to your home safe by turning it off. They may need to access your home to remove the main fuse.
- If you have vacated your property, it is important to leave a contact number visible in your window so that you can be contacted if anybody needs access.
An emergency contact number has been set up. Telephone 01329 – 824794 for anyone with concerns for their property or friends and family in the area. If you have a question about environmental health you can telephone 01329 236100 and ask for the Environmental Health Division or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Members of the public are advised to listen to local BBC Radio Solent or, log on to Fareham Borough Council Web or follow Fareham Borough Council on Twitter of Facebook to receive updates. All unnecessary journeys to this area should be avoided.
For further information contact:
Janine Hensman, PR and Marketing Support Officer, tel: 01329 824302
fax: 01329 824505, e-mail: email@example.com
This and previous media releases can be viewed on the Council’s website: www.fareham.gov.uk/pressreleases