There will be a Farmers' Market in Fareham's West Street from 9am to 2pm on Saturday 1 November 2014, so you can make sure that you are fully stocked with good local food for the weekend.
Up to 40 local producers will be selling the best of their produce directly to customers - everything from freshly picked organic fruit and vegetables to free range eggs, from fish from local waters to rare breed meats, from home-baked bread and cakes to the honey made from local bees.
Sample before you buy from the people who actually produce, and taste the difference in quality whilst supporting your local farming and rural community.
- Fareham markets celebrated 800 years of tradition in 2012, having been held by custom in the town since 1212. Street fairs and markets were in their heyday in England during the 13th century. The market would have probably served regional and local customers and, in an era when communications and travel were difficult and often dangerous, markets were a good way for commerce to occur.
- In 1795 the market began operating every fortnight on a Monday, selling livestock. It continued to sell livestock until 1972. Today, a general street market operates every Monday, and a Farmers' market operates on the first Saturday of the month.
- Fareham Town Centre Management has been organising and managing Farmers' markets in West Street Fareham since 1998.
- The Farmers' markets run all year round and create an environment where consumers and producers are brought together.
- At Fareham Farmers Markets, all produce being sold must have been grown, reared, caught, brewed, pickled, baked or processed within the 'local' area.
- Every endeavour is made that the producer, or someone directly involved with the production of the goods, will sell the produce themselves.
- The definition of 'local' is normally within Hampshire and the Isle of Wight, or within 100 miles of Fareham if there is no suitable local producer of a given product.
- Preference will always be given to the most local producer when a space becomes available at the market without compromising quality.
For more information, contact Patricia Gray Fareham Town Centre Manager on 01329 824474 or firstname.lastname@example.org