Hampshire County Council work to improve A27 St Margarets Roundabout
Hampshire County Council are carrying out work to improve congestion at St Margarets Roundabout (the one next to the Holiday Inn) on the A27. The work is due to start on Monday 17 August and is scheduled to last for around 40 weeks. The works are designed to improve the management of traffic, ease congestion at peak times, and improve pedestrian and cycle facilities.
How can I keep up to date with the works?
You can keep up to date with Hampshire County Council's plan for carrying out the work and traffic control at their A27 St Margarets Roundabout webpage
You can also keep up to date on Hampshire County Council's Twitter page @Hantsconnect
What changes will take place?
- Traffic lights on the A27 Southampton Road, Cartwright Drive and Warsash Road approaches to the roundabout, together with traffic lights and extra lanes going around the roundabout.
- Extra traffic lanes on the A27 Southampton Road approaches to the roundabout.
- Widened traffic lanes on the Cartwright Drive approach to the roundabout to better accommodate lorries, and redesignate the traffic lanes so that lane 1 is for turning left towards Fareham, and lane 2 is for all other destinations.
- Provide a right turn lane into The Holiday Inn.
- Provide a separate traffic lane into the Shell fuel filling station and shop.
- A shared use pedestrian and cycle route on the north side of the A27 with signal controlled crossing facilities across Cartwright Drive and across the A27 on the west side of the roundabout.