The Greening Campaign
The Council is keen to help communities who wish to run a Greening Campaign in their community as part of our Climate Change Action Plan.
Please contact our Climate Change Team if you would like to find out more at firstname.lastname@example.org
Hampshire County Council is also providing support from the Wildlife Trust and The Sustainability Centre to communities who wish to run the campaign, you can find out more on their website .
What is the Greening Campaign?
- Designed for distinct communitites
- It is a community lead initiative
- It encourages people to make small visible changes that together help reduce a community's carboon footprint
- It has been successfully run in over 200 communitites across the country
The Four Campaign Phases:
- There are four phases in the campaign:
- Phase 1 - Enagages the community in carbon reduction challenges and shows how communities can make a change
- Phase 2 - More communal challenges focused around rewilding and renewable energy opportunities
- Phase 3 - Encourages communities to identify their strengths and weaknessess and to create a vision for a sustainable community
- Phase 4 - Communities evaluate the risks of climate change to their local area and work together to develop possible solutions
Launching Phase 1 of the Greening Campaign:
Details of Phase 1 are stated below:
- The community will decide on a number of carbon reduction challenges e.g. turning the thermostat down by one degree
- These challenges will then be put onto cards which will then be distributed around the community
- The aim is to get the community to take ownership of the card and to love it!
- As individuals make the changes, they will put the card in their house windows
Through this strategy people should feel like they own the campaign and know that they are making a difference.
What Happens at the End of Phase 1:
- After around six weeks the community groups will count the number of challenge cards displayed in household windows
- The Greening Campaign will then calculate the total carbon savings that have been achieved
- Publicise carbon savings achieved by the whole community
You can find out more by visiting the Greening Campaign website .