skip to main content

Accessibility and Display Options

Choose accessibility and display settings
Text Preferences
Colour Schemes
Save Close


You are here: Home / Coronavirus

Coronavirus (Covid-19)

On Monday, 4 January 2021, the Government annouced a National Lockdown to help stop the spread of Coronavirus.

To read the latest Government advice about what you can and cannot do, please visit the Government website. External Hyperlink 




Further help

The Council understands that this may be a difficult time for many, but there is help and support out there should you need it:

Hampshire Coronavirus Support and Helpline

If Coronavirus has had an impact on you or any aspect of your life, including anyone who is self-isolating, please call the helpline for advice and support in the first instance.

The Hampshire Coronavirus Support and Helpline can be contacted on 0333 370 4000 (calls charged at local rate) or you can request a call-back from the helpline by completing the call-back request form. External Hyperlink

The helpline is open 9am to 5pm weekdays.

The helpline can signpost you to information, advice and relevant services to support you with a range of issues, including:

Connect to Support Hampshire

The Connect to Support Hampshire website has a Coronavirus resource page with information to help you on a range of topics, including:

Visit the website to find out more.  External Hyperlink

Clinically extremely vulnerable people

From Tuesday, 5 January 2021, the Government are advising that clinically extremely vulnerable people should follow resumed shielding guidance and should not attend work, school, college or university. You should stay at home and should only go out for medical appointments, exercise or if it is essential. If you do need to go out:

The more you socially distance from others, including your own household, the less likely you are to catch COVID-19. You should always stay at least 2 metres away from other people.

Detailed advice can be found on the Government website. External Hyperlink

Help with shopping for those that are Clinically Extremely Vulnerable

You are advised not to go to the shops. Consider using online delivery slots for food shopping or ask friends and family to help deliver shopping or collect medicines for you.

The latest advice and updates about grocery shopping at the supermarkets and what they are offering during this time can be found on the Which? website. External Hyperlink

Test and trace support payment

On 20th September, the Government announced a new national Test and Trace Support scheme which commenced on 28th September 2020.

New package to support and enforce self-isolation (GOV.UK website) External Hyperlink

In some circumstances, if you are required by law to self-isolate from the 28th September, you may be entitled to receive a "support payment" of £500 from Fareham Borough Council. 

Information about the scheme

Who can get the Test and Trace Support Payment?

From 28th September, to get the Test and Trace Support Payment, you must:

Have been asked to self-isolate by NHS Test and Trace either because you have tested positive for coronavirus or have recently been in close contact with someone who has tested positive

If you have not received a notification from NHS Test and Trace telling you to self-isolate, you will not be eligible for the support payment.

If you have been furloughed with reduced income, you are not eligible unless you have been issued with a Test and Trace number.

People who come back to the UK and are quarantining are not eligible for the payment unless they have also been told to isolate and have been issued with a Test and Trace number.

At the end of their isolation period, claimants will have up to 14 days to apply for the payment.

How much is the payment?

If you are eligible, you will receive a single Support Payment of £500.  This payment will be subject to income tax but will not be subject to National Insurance contributions.

What information will I need to supply before I can get the Support Payment?

For the Council to be able to process an application for a support payment, we will need you to supply the following information:

We will be asking for this information to be provided electronically wherever possible, e.g. with downloaded or scanned documents, screenshots, etc.

Will councils have any flexibility on the Support Payment scheme?

This is a national scheme which Government has asked local councils to administer, following strict eligibility criteria.  However, councils will have some limited discretion for individuals who do not meet the strict criteria for the Test and Trace Support Payment but still need financial support to self-isolate. This will be funded from a cash limited fund and therefore will be kept under review. Please contact us direct on 01329 824646 if you meet the following criteria:

How long will this be in place for?

The scheme will run until 31st January 2021.

When will the scheme start?

These changes came into effect on 28th September 2020, alongside the legal duty to self-isolate. You will be able to make a claim if you are told to self-isolate on or after the 28 September 2020. You will have up to 14 days to make a claim from the end date of your isolation period.

Self-Isolation Payment Privacy Notice

If you apply, we will need to process your personal data to assess whether you are eligible to receive financial support, and if so, to provide a payment to you. This Privacy Notice sets out what personal data we will use, how we will use it, and why we need to, when an applicant applies for this support. Before deciding to apply please read the Privacy Notice in full here PDF (283 KB).

Data Controller

The Department of Health and Social Care (DHSC) has commissioned NHS Test and Trace on behalf of the government and is the data controller for the purposes of providing Test and Trace data to Fareham Borough Council.

Fareham Borough Council are the data controller for the purposes of assessing eligibility, administering and making payments under the Test and Trace Support scheme.

How can I claim?

If you believe you are eligible for a Test and Trace Support Payment, and are able to produce the evidence to support your application, you can contact the Council by completing and submitting the Test and Trace Self-Isolation Payment Request Form.

Complete the Test and Trace Self-Isolation Payment Request Form here.

Alternatively, please contact us by emailing, or phone 01329 824646.

You will need to provide your name, address and contact email/telephone number, and a member of the team will be in touch to discuss your application.

Help for those struggling financially and unable to get essentials

If you are struggling to afford food and essentials, please contact Citizens Advice in the first instance who will be able to refer you to the relevant organisation. Citizens Advice can be contacted by calling 01329 223 117 or online through their website.  

If you need help because you can't leave the house, and don't have any friends or family to help, there are a number of other organisations that can help:

Hampshire Food Revolution

Hampshire Food Revolution offers bags of fruit, veg and other items to those in need that would have otherwise ended in landfill.

They are based at Fareham North West Community Centre, Henry Cort Drive, Fareham, PO15 6TL.

Parcel collection dates are released on the Hampshire Food Revolution Facebook page External Hyperlink and must be reserved in advance before you visit.

For more information please contact

Covid-19 Special Grant

The Covid-19 Special Grant programme aims to help address some of the financial pressures that smaller charitable, voluntary and community organisations may have faced during the pandemic.

Smaller organisations have not yet been able to access financial support and have seen a loss in finances due to being closed throughout the pandemic, as well as an increase in costs for PPE and cleaning materials when they have re-opened.

Organisations can apply for a one off grant to help cover these costs.

Back to the Future

The Back to the Future project aims to provide support for vulnerable people who are struggling to re-engage with their communities following periods of isolation. 

It could be helping with someone's first visit to the supermarket since lockdown measures have eased or getting on the bus, to attending a hospital or GP appointment or maybe just having a chat or cup of tea with someone.   

For more information please contact Hayley Malcolm at One Community on 023 8090 2416 or email

More information

If you have any other questions or queries about help in the community please contact

If you would like more information about council services during this time please visit our coronavirus page.

Back to top of page Back to Top How to get here
Fareham Borough Council, Civic Offices, Civic Way, Hampshire, PO16 7AZ
Tel: +44 (0) 1329 236100 | Mobile Text/Photo: 07876 131415 | Fax: +44 (0) 1329 821770
RSS Feeds