Accessibility and Display Options

Choose accessibility and display settings
Text Preferences
Colour Schemes
Save Close


Tenancy services

The section covers the following areas:

What does tenancy management cover?

What does estate management cover?

 What is sheltered housing?

If you are of retirement age and have support needs, you may have thought about sheltered accommodation. This is a range of unfurnished accommodation suitable for people aged over 60 years with a support need. It aims to provide independent living conditions with support available if it is needed in an emergency. We have more than 650 units of sheltered accommodation throughout the Borough. These are divided into categories depending on levels of service and your support needs:

Communal facilities are available at some of the schemes. All accommodation has alarms fitted, linked to a central control. Calls for assistance are covered 24 hours a day, every day throughout the year.

For more information, contact the Sheltered Housing Team Leader on 01329 847125. You may also find information provided by Age UK useful at External Hyperlink

 What are Leasehold Properties?

Leasehold properties are flats or maisonettes which former Council tenants have bought under the right to buy scheme. Leaseholders own their property and are responsible for maintaining it. They have certain rights and responsibilities and also have to contribute towards the cost of maintaining communal areas and the exterior of the building. There are more than 400 leasehold properties in the Borough.

Who should you contact?

Our Neighbourhood Manager oversees the work of the division and can be contacted on 01329 824350. If you have an enquiry about tenancy, estate or rent matters, contact your Neighbourhood Officer on 01329 824435 or email You can also call into the Civic Offices and ask to see the duty officer. If you wish to see a particular officer we may ask you to book an appointment by phone or at the Civic Offices.

Since April 2012 the Homes and Communities Agency (HCA) External Hyperlink has been the regulatory body for all housing organisations including local authority housing. We try to be as helpful as possible in providing Council services. If you have a comment, compliment or complaint or if you are dissatisfied with the way in which you have been treated, please talk to a member of our staff.

Back to top of page Back to Top How to get here RSS Feeds