Accessibility and Display Options

Choose accessibility and display settings
Text Preferences
Colour Schemes
Save Close


Tenant Alterations Request Form

If you are a Council tenant or leaseholder and want to make alterations to your property, you must have our written agreement first. This is a condition of your tenancy agreement.

There are a few instances where you do not require our permission, these include:

If you are unsure whether the works you want to carry require permission, please still complete the tenant alterations request form or contact your Neighbourhood Officer on 01329 845534 /

Please be aware that you will be responsible for maintaining the alteration and may be asked to remove it at the end of your tenancy.


What type of alterations will not get permission?

We are unable to grant permission for improvements to your home which we believe are unsafe, will reduce the value of your home, or cause a nuisance to your neighbours. We will also not grant permission for any of the following:

If you are not a Fareham Borough Council tenant or leaseholder, you will need to contact your landlord / Housing Association for further information.


How do I apply for an alteration?

If you would like to apply for an alteration to your property please complete the tenant alterations request form.

Once we have reviewed your request, we will send you details of any further information required and a complete list of conditions. Submission of this form does not constitute permission. Depending on the complexity of your enquiry and the volume of other requests we may not be able to respond to you immediately.


What if there are works already in progress?

If there are any works already in progress and you have concerns over health and safety, please contact us immediately on 01329 824771.  Please also use this number if you have a repair request that is not in relation to any tenant alterations you are carrying out, email or visit our 'Report a Repair' webpage for further information.

This form is for Council tenants or leaseholders who are requesting to undertake works that they are responsible and will be paying for. 


What do I do if I want a disabled adaptation?

If you are looking to add any disabled adaptions, please contact us for minor alterations as we may be able to install these for you. These would include:

If you require larger adaptions, please contact Hampshire County Council's Occupational Health Team. They will undertake an OT assessment and guide you through the next steps. Applicants can contact the OT on 0300 555 1386 or


What other information should I be aware of?

Please be aware that depending on the type of works you wish to carry out, you may also require one or more of the following, in addition to permission from the Council:

You will be required to ensure the work is carried out in a professional manner, using quality materials and meet any required regulations.

Any gas or electrical works must be carried out by a member of the current registration body - Gas Safe Register and or NICEIC.


Information on conservatories

A conservatory is usually a predominantly glass structure attached to the side of the home, with a glass or polycarbonate roof. Conservatories create a light and airy space that can be used for various purposes.

The term 'conservatory' would indicate that:

Open plan conservatories require building regulations approval. To make sure your conservatory meets these requirements, you must show the conservatory is as energy efficient as the rest of the house.


Information on extensions

An extension is typically constructed of similar materials (e.g., brick) as the existing building to create a seamless appearance. It includes a solid roof and walls. Materials are usually chosen based on structural and insulation needs, as well as budget and design preferences.

Extensions require planning consultation and building regulations approval. To make sure the extension meets these requirements, they must demonstrate the extension is as energy efficient as the rest of the house.

The requirements for an extension are as follows:

Back to top of page Back to Top How to get here RSS Feeds