skip to main content

Accessibility and Display Options

Choose accessibility and display settings
Text Preferences
Colour Schemes
Save Close


You are here: Home / Waste Collection And Recycling / Garden Waste And Composting

A new Garden Waste Subscription Scheme will start in 2022

When will the new scheme start?

The new opt-in Garden Waste Collection scheme will start in February 2022. 

How much will the service cost me?

Subscribers will have a choice of two bins sizes:

140 litre wheeled bins:

240 litre wheeled bins:

How will I pay?

Payment for the service will be a single up-front payment. Residents will be able to pay online using a credit or debit card. Residents can cancel the service at any time if they no longer require it, but no refunds will be given and the garden waste bin remains the property of the resident.

How big is a 240 and 140 Litre bin?

240 Litre bin- 58cm x 74cm x 110cm

140 Litre bin- 50.5cm x 55.5cm x 110cm

The 240 litre bins are the same size and shape as those used for refuse and recycling.

Will there be any discounts?

There will be an 'early bird' discount in the first year. You will be able to purchase a half-price bin for a limited time:

140 litre bin - £17 instead of £34
240 litre bin - £18 instead of £36

It is anticipated that the early bird discounts will be offered towards the end of 2021.

Can I have more than one bin?

For those with larger gardens, up to 5 bins per household will be offered. For those with 5 x 240 litre bins, there would be a first-year bin purchase charge of £180 plus an annual subscription of £300. The early bird discount could apply to each bin purchased to reduce the initial purchase charge for 5 bins to £90.

Can I share a bin with my neighbour?

Yes, different households will be able to share a bin. However, only one household will be able to purchase a bin and pay the subscription.

I only have a limited amount of space to store another bin. 

There is a 140 litre bin for smaller spaces and more than one household can also share a bin.

Help with moving your bin

If you are disabled or infirm and cannot move your bin you can ask for an "assisted lift". This means the crews will collect the bin or garden waste sack from where you keep it on your property and return it there. We can only offer this service if there is no other able-bodied person at your property who could put the bin out on the edge of the highway. We may visit you to discuss your request.

How will the Refuse Operatives know who has paid each year?

Refuse Operatives will have access to an electronic device in their vehicles which will inform them which households have a valid garden waste subscription.

Can I continue using garden waste sacks?

You can use your garden waste sacks and disposable garden waste bags until December 2021, when the current service will end.  Neither the sacks nor bags will be collected beyond this point.  The new wheeled bin scheme will start in February 2022. 

What happens to the garden waste sack when they are no longer, I use?

Residents can keep the garden waste sack and use it to collect garden waste when doing the garden to then empty into the new garden waste wheeled bin. Any sacks that are worn or damaged can be placed in the green top household waste bin which will then be taken to the Energy Recovery Facility. If residents no longer require the sack the Council will arrange for this to be collected for reuse. This will be organised when the new wheeled bin collection system is introduced.

Why are you switching from sacks to wheelie bins?

Wheeled bins increase the amount of waste you can recycle.  For example, a 240 litre bin can take about 2.5 times the amount of waste that a garden waste sack can. They are also easier for operatives to load onto the refuse collection vehicles.

What are my options if I don't want to subscribe to the new scheme?

Composting and mulching are environmentally friendly alternatives.  Hampshire County Council have a discounted Compost Bin scheme. You can also take your garden waste to your local Household Waste Recycling Centre for free.

What if the resident moves to a new house?

Residents can use the garden waste sign up portal to inform the garden waste administrative team that they are moving house. The system will then allocate the new address to a collection round and remove the old address from the service.  The garden waste bin is the property of the resident so they should take it with them when they move.


Back to top of page Back to Top How to get here
Fareham Borough Council, Civic Offices, Civic Way, Hampshire, PO16 7AZ
Tel: +44 (0) 1329 236100 | Mobile Text/Photo: 07876 131415
RSS Feeds