Accessibility and Display Options

Choose accessibility and display settings
Text Preferences
Colour Schemes
Save Close


Foreign Diplomats

If you are a foreign diplomat and you lease or own the property in which you live, your property may be exempt from Council Tax.

The property will still be exempt even if you are jointly liable to pay Council Tax with someone else who is a British Citizen. However, you must not be permanently resident in the United Kingdom and the property concerned must not be your second home.

If you are responsible for Council Tax and you allow a foreign diplomat to live with you, you can disregard (not count) the diplomat when you are counting up the number of adults in your property.

If this means that only one person is counted, you will be entitled to a 25% discount off your Council Tax bill.

If you want to apply for a discount or exemption, email:  We will check with the Foreign and Commonwealth Office to ensure that the person for whom a discount or exemption has been claimed is entitled to diplomatic immunity or privileges.

You must inform the Council if you are no longer entitled to a discount or exemption. We will take legal action against anyone who fraudulently claims a discount or exemption.

For further information please contact the Council Tax office on Tel: 01329 824651, or e-mail

Back to top of page Back to Top How to get here RSS Feeds