skip to main content

Accessibility and Display Options

Choose accessibility and display settings
Text Preferences
Colour Schemes
Save Close

Cookies and Privacy

This site uses cookies to store information on your computer

Some of these cookies are necessary to make the site work. We’d also like to use optional cookies to help improve your experience on the site. You can manage your optional cookie preferences below. Using this tool will set a cookie on your device to remember your preferences. Your preferences can be changed at any time.

For further details, see our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy

I AcceptI Do Not Accept


Essential cookies enable core functionality such as page navigation and access to secure areas. The website cannot function properly without these cookies; they can only be disabled by changing your browser preferences. Third party functions such as Google Search and Analytics will not be enabled.


Performance settings enable you to use the Google Search engine on our website and help us to improve our website by collecting and reporting information on its usage (for example, which of our pages are most frequently visited).

Save and Close


You are here: Home / Council Tax / Discounts And Exemptions / Disregards

School and College Leavers

You are considered to be a school leaver if you are 18 or 19 and have left school or college between 30 April and 1 November in the year that the bill is due.

You may be treated as a school leaver for Council Tax purposes even if you do not eventually enrol on a course.

If you have not become a student by 1 November, you stop being regarded as a school leaver from that date.

School leavers are disregarded (not counted) when you are adding up the number of adults resident in a property. If this means that there is only one person counted, you will be entitled to a 25% discount.

Please note that the person who is highest in the liability hierarchy will be liable to pay the 75% charge. This may mean that, if the school leaver is highest in the hierarchy, he or she will be the person we will expect to pay the bill.

If the property you live in is completely occupied by school leavers, or if the only residents are a mixture of school leavers and students, the property is exempt and you will not have to pay any Council Tax.

However, please note that any school leavers who do not take up a course by 1 November will be classified as non-students, and this means that your entitlement to an exemption will end on that day.

You must inform the Council if you are no longer entitled to a discount or exemption. We will take legal action against anyone who fraudulently claims a discount or exemption.

If you want to apply for a discount or exemption, email: We will require evidence of your entitlement.

Further Information

For further information please contact the Council Tax office on Tel: 01329 824651, or e-mail

Back to top of page Back to Top How to get here
Fareham Borough Council, Civic Offices, Civic Way, Hampshire, PO16 7AZ
Tel: +44 (0) 1329 236100 | Mobile Text/Photo: 07860 098627
RSS Feeds