Accessibility and Display Options

Choose accessibility and display settings
Text Preferences
Colour Schemes
Save Close


Under 18s and Young People for whom Child Benefit is Still Being Received


If a property is only occupied by one or more people who are all under 18, the property is exempt and you will not have to pay any Council Tax.

The owner of the property is responsible for making an application to the Council to claim this exemption.

The exemption stops as soon as one of the residents becomes 18, or if another person who is over 18 becomes resident.


Under 18s and young people for whom Child Benefit is still being received are disregarded when you are counting the number of adults in a property. If this means that only one person is counted, you will be entitled to a 25% discount from your Council Tax bill.

You must inform the Council if you are no longer entitled to a discount or exemption. We will take legal action against anyone who fraudulently claims a discount or exemption.

If you want to apply for a discount or exemption, contact us. We will require evidence of your entitlement.

For further information please contact the Council Tax office on Tel: 01329 824651, or e-mail

Back to top of page Back to Top How to get here RSS Feeds