skip to main content

Accessibility and Display Options

Choose accessibility and display settings
Text Preferences
Colour Schemes
Save Close


The former home of someone who is bankrupt

Where a property is unoccupied and the previous occupier is bankrupt, the property is exempt from Council Tax and the trustee will not have to pay any Council Tax.

The property will be exempt even if the person who is bankrupt was jointly liable with someone else who is not bankrupt.

If you want to apply for an exemption, email We will generally seek confirmation of the trustee in bankruptcy's status, and will also seek to confirm that the property is unoccupied.

You must inform the Council if you are no longer entitled to a discount or exemption. We will take legal action against anyone who fraudulently claims a discount or exemption.

For further information please contact the Council Tax office on Tel: 01329 824651, or e-mail

Back to top of page Back to Top How to get here
Fareham Borough Council, Civic Offices, Civic Way, Hampshire, PO16 7AZ
Tel: +44 (0) 1329 236100 | Mobile Text/Photo: 07860 098627
RSS Feeds