skip to main content

Accessibility and Display Options

Choose accessibility and display settings
Text Preferences
Colour Schemes
Save Close

Cookie preferences

We and our partners use technologies such as cookies on our site to enhance your user experience, personalise content and analyse our traffic.

Accept the recommended settings to consent to the use of this technology on our site.

To change your consent choices at any time please use the toggles below.

For further details, see our Cookie Policy

Accept recommended settings

Essential cookies

Essential cookies enable core functionality such as page navigation and access to secure areas. The website cannot function properly without these cookies; they can only be disabled by changing your browser preferences.

Performance cookies

Performance cookies help us to improve our website by collecting and reporting information on its usage (for example, which of our pages are most frequently visited).

Save and Close


You are here: Home / Council Tax / Discounts And Exemptions / Exemptions

The former home of someone who has died

The former home of someone who lived alone and who has died is exempt from Council Tax provided that they were either:

If the property remains unoccupied, exemption continues until six months after probate or letters of administration have been granted.

The exemption ceases if:

If someone occupies the property as their main home for less than six weeks the person occupying it pays Council Tax during the period concerned. However, it can be exempt again when it becomes unoccupied.

The deceased person need not have occupied the property immediately prior to his or her death, provided no one else has lived in it before they died. An example of this would be where a person has moved out of their home and left it empty while they have been living in a residential care centre where they have since died.

Exemption does not apply where there is a joint owner (unless he or she has also died).

If you want to apply for an exemption, email We will generally seek to confirm that the property is unoccupied.

We will also ask you to keep us informed so that we know when probate or letters of administration are granted.

You must inform the Council if you are no longer entitled to a discount or exemption. We will take legal action against anyone who fraudulently claims a discount or exemption.

For further information please contact the Council Tax office on Tel: 01329 824651, or e-mail

Back to top of page Back to Top How to get here
Fareham Borough Council, Civic Offices, Civic Way, Hampshire, PO16 7AZ
Tel: +44 (0) 1329 236100 | Mobile Text/Photo: 07876 131415
RSS Feeds