skip to main content

Accessibility and Display Options

Choose accessibility and display settings
Text Preferences
Colour Schemes
Save Close

Cookies and Privacy

This site uses cookies to store information on your computer

Some of these cookies are necessary to make the site work. We’d also like to use optional cookies to help improve your experience on the site. You can manage your optional cookie preferences below. Using this tool will set a cookie on your device to remember your preferences. Your preferences can be changed at any time.

For further details, see our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy

I AcceptI Do Not Accept


Essential cookies enable core functionality such as page navigation and access to secure areas. The website cannot function properly without these cookies; they can only be disabled by changing your browser preferences. Third party functions such as Google Search and Analytics will not be enabled.


Performance settings enable you to use the Google Search engine on our website and help us to improve our website by collecting and reporting information on its usage (for example, which of our pages are most frequently visited).

Save and Close


You are here: Home / Council Tax

Energy Rebate for Council Tax Payers

The Scheme

The Department for Levelling Up, Housing and Communities has announced a package of support known as the Energy Bills Rebate to help households with rising energy bills. This includes:

Further details can be found on the Government Website External Hyperlink.

The Council, as a billing authority, has been tasked with administering the £150 energy rebates and Discretionary Fund. 

How will payments be made

This scheme uses our Council Tax records to identify who is entitled to the payment, but the amount is not credited to your Council Tax Account, all payments are made outside the Council Tax system so you must continue making payments as billed.

We have 37,000 payments to make, and these payments can only be made to the Council Taxpayer (the name(s) that appear on your bill) for properties banded A to D.  

If you currently make payment by Direct Debit:

We will already have details of your bank account and payment can be made direct to this account. We will send you a remittance by e-mail or in the post to tell you when we have done this.  

Even if you already make payment by Direct Debit, we may need to ask you to provide your bank details again. This might be because we haven't deducted a payment by Direct Debit for some time (the Direct Debit Instruction may not be live) or the name of the Direct Debit Instruction does not match the name on your Council Tax bill.  We will contact you if there are any issues.

If you don't currently make payment by Direct Debit:

We will be in contact by post or by e-mail to request your bank details. Our correspondence will include a secure code and a link to our website where you will be able to securely upload your bank account details.

Once we have this information, we must carry out some anti-fraud checks to make sure the details are legitimate and following this, we will make payment direct to your bank account. We will send you a remittance by e-mail or in the post to tell you when we have done this.

When will payments be made

We appreciate the importance of these payments, and are working to get payments into accounts as soon as possible, but this is a massive exercise for us to complete. 

We have already paid 95 % of all eligible households (34,026 households or £5,103,900 of the total budget) in Bands A, B, C and D together with those properties with disabled relief in Band E, the relief reduces the charge to Band D.

We hoped to complete all payments by 31 July 2022 (the Government says that we must complete payment by 30 September 2022), however we are still working on some cases where there is an issue with the application or the Bank Account details, if you haven't heard from us, please contact

We will send either a paper or e-mail remittance when we issued the payment.  Payments will appear on you Bank Accounts as "Energy Payment". 

I own an empty property

We can only pay the grants to a property Banded A - D which is occupied (someone's sole or main residence) on 1 April 2022. We cannot pay a grant to any property that is empty on the date or a property that is a second home.

I don't pay Council Tax 

The grant can be paid to a property Banded A - D which is occupied (someone's sole or main residence) on 1 April 2022 where the liability is zero –  this may be because the Council Tax Payer receives 100% Council Tax Support or where the property is exempt from Council Tax in the following circumstances:

Class N - A property wholly occupied by students.

Class S - A property wholly occupied by person(s) under eighteen.

Class U - A property wholly occupied by person(s) who is severally mentally impaired.

Class W - A property which is an occupied Annexe to an occupied dwelling 

Married Quarters

Married quarters are excluded from this scheme.

Discretionary Fund & Properties in Bands E - H 

Councils can determine locally how best to make use of the discretionary funding to provide payments to other households who are energy bill payers but not covered by the Council Tax Rebate. This could include households living in property valued in bands E to H that are on income related benefits or those where the energy bill payers are not liable for Council Tax. 

Fareham has been awarded £122,400 from the discretionary fund to support households who are in need but are not eligible for the Council Tax Rebate in properties banded A - D. You can appreciate that this fund is a relatively small sum, so we hope to develop a scheme which will identify groups of residents who could benefit from the fund.  We may also contact residents to ask them to apply for help in this scheme. The Government says that we must complete payment by 30 November 2022.

Where can I find additional help and advice?

          Connect for Help External Hyperlink

          National Energy Action  External Hyperlink

If you don't want to receive the £150

You can refuse the rebate or ask for it to be credited to your Council Tax Account, please let us know by e-mail.  You may wish to donate the sum to an energy charity or your chosen charity.

Be alert to scam regarding £150 Council Tax Energy Rebate Payment

We understand that residents across the country have been receiving phone calls asking for their bank details so the Council Tax Energy Rebate can be paid.

Please note that this is a scam as we do not request bank details in this way. Please do not give out any bank details and if you receive an email or phone call in this manner please contact us on 01329 824651 and ask for our Council Tax section first.


If we believe that the occupancy information regarding a property as at 1 April 2022, is inaccurate, we will withhold the payment and take reasonable steps to determine the correct information.

If there is a retrospective change to the Council Tax payer, we will take reasonable steps to pay or claw back any payment made.

Contact Us 

If you haven't heard from us by 31/07/2022, please contact

Back to top of page Back to Top How to get here
Fareham Borough Council, Civic Offices, Civic Way, Hampshire, PO16 7AZ
Tel: +44 (0) 1329 236100 | Mobile Text/Photo: 07876 131415
RSS Feeds