skip to main content

Accessibility and Display Options

Choose accessibility and display settings
Text Preferences
Colour Schemes
Save Close

Cookies and Privacy

This site uses cookies to store information on your computer

Some of these cookies are necessary to make the site work. We’d also like to use optional cookies to help improve your experience on the site. You can manage your optional cookie preferences below. Using this tool will set a cookie on your device to remember your preferences. Your preferences can be changed at any time.

For further details, see our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy

I AcceptI Do Not Accept


Essential cookies enable core functionality such as page navigation and access to secure areas. The website cannot function properly without these cookies; they can only be disabled by changing your browser preferences. Third party functions such as Google Search and Analytics will not be enabled.


Performance settings enable you to use the Google Search engine on our website and help us to improve our website by collecting and reporting information on its usage (for example, which of our pages are most frequently visited).

Save and Close


You are here: Home / Council Tax / How Is My Council Tax Calculated / Council Tax Explained

Main Residence

If a person has more than one dwelling, he or she can only be classed as a resident at one of the properties.

We will make a decision as to which home should be regarded as your main residence. To do this, we will need to request additional information to help us to make a balanced decision.

In most circumstances, the decision as to which property is the main residence is fairly easy. For example, a second home which is empty most of the year and only visited for holidays would usually not be the main residence.

Where situations are not so clear, we will have to rely on the results of cases either in Fareham or elsewhere in Great Britain where decisions on main residence have been made by the Courts.


Some examples of issues that arise in main residence cases are highlighted in the next section - Main Residence Questions.

For further information please contact the Council Tax office on Tel: 01329 824651, or e-mail

Back to top of page Back to Top How to get here
Fareham Borough Council, Civic Offices, Civic Way, Hampshire, PO16 7AZ
Tel: +44 (0) 1329 236100 | Mobile Text/Photo: 07860 098627
RSS Feeds