What we've done to tackle the challenges so far
In order to help tackle our financial challenges:
- Significantly reduced the number of staff that work at the Council.
- A number of opportunities projects for generating income or reducing costs were implemented and £587,000 of savings from these were applied to the 2019/20 budget.
- A number of these projects are ongoing and could see additional income or reduction in costs of around £900,000.
- Continued use of investment properties helped to generate £2,150,000 of income in 2019/20.
- Increases to fees and charges were made and new charges where introduced where appropriate.
- Council Tax was increased by £5 a year.
- We continued to adopt Systems Thinking* across Council services to reduce costs whilst improving customer satisfaction.
- We continued the prudent use of low cost borrowing.
- Agreed to the introduction of coastal parking charges from summer 2021 onwards.
- Will launch garden waste collection subscription service in early 2022.
*Systems thinking helps to design Council services so that the needs of the customer are met in the simplest and most efficient way.
Move to the next page
Go to the previous page
Return to the begining