skip to main content

Accessibility and Display Options

Choose accessibility and display settings
Text Preferences
Colour Schemes
Save Close

Cookie preferences

We and our partners use technologies such as cookies on our site to enhance your user experience, personalise content and analyse our traffic.

Accept the recommended settings to consent to the use of this technology on our site.

To change your consent choices at any time please use the toggles below.

For further details, see our Cookie Policy

Accept recommended settings

Essential cookies

Essential cookies enable core functionality such as page navigation and access to secure areas. The website cannot function properly without these cookies; they can only be disabled by changing your browser preferences.

Performance cookies

Performance cookies help us to improve our website by collecting and reporting information on its usage (for example, which of our pages are most frequently visited).

Save and Close


You are here: Home / Licensing And Inspections / Licensing

Riding establishment licence

To run a riding establishment where horses or ponies are hired out for riding or used for riding instruction in England, Scotland or Wales, you need a licence from us.

Eligibility criteria

If you are an applicant, you must be over 18 years of age. In England and Wales you must have not been disqualified:

You must pay any fee and comply with any conditions attached to a licence.

You can see a summary of the regulation relating to this licenceExternal Hyperlink

Application evaluation process

Before making a decision about an application, we must consider a report from a veterinary surgeon or practitioner about whether the premises are suitable for a riding establishment and the condition of any horses. We will also take into account whether an applicant is suitable and qualified to hold a licence. We must be satisfied:

In addition to any others, a riding establishment licence will be subject to these conditions:

Will tacit consent apply?

No. It is in the public interest that we process your application before it can be granted. If you have not heard from us within a reasonable period, please email

Apply online (via

Failed application redress

Please phone 01329 236100 or email in the first instance.

An applicant whose application is refused can appeal to the local magistrates' court.

Licence holder redress

Please phone 01329 236100 or email in the first instance.

A licence holder who wishes to appeal against a condition can appeal to a local magistrates' court.

Consumer Complaint

We suggest that in the event of a complaint, you make first contact with the trader concerned, preferably by letter and with proof of delivery if that has not worked, contact the UK European Consumer Centre External Hyperlink.

Trade associations

If you need any further information or have any concerns about an establishment please e-mail us at or telephone on 01329 236100.

Back to top of page Back to Top How to get here
Fareham Borough Council, Civic Offices, Civic Way, Hampshire, PO16 7AZ
Tel: +44 (0) 1329 236100 | Mobile Text/Photo: 07876 131415
RSS Feeds