skip to main content

Accessibility and Display Options

Choose accessibility and display settings
Text Preferences
Colour Schemes
Save Close

Cookies and Privacy

This site uses cookies to store information on your computer

Some of these cookies are necessary to make the site work. We’d also like to use optional cookies to help improve your experience on the site. You can manage your optional cookie preferences below. Using this tool will set a cookie on your device to remember your preferences. Your preferences can be changed at any time.

For further details, see our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy

I AcceptI Do Not Accept


Essential cookies enable core functionality such as page navigation and access to secure areas. The website cannot function properly without these cookies; they can only be disabled by changing your browser preferences. Third party functions such as Google Search and Analytics will not be enabled.


Performance settings enable you to use the Google Search engine on our website and help us to improve our website by collecting and reporting information on its usage (for example, which of our pages are most frequently visited).

Save and Close


You are here: Home / Benefits / How To Claim

What information will I need to support my claim?

If you do not have any of the documents we need at the moment, do NOT delay making your claim. Let us know which documents are missing, and provide them as soon as you can. If you cannot obtain some of the documents, let us know why, and we will give you advice as to how you can obtain the information we need.

Only original documents can be accepted to support your claim; photocopies are not acceptable. Once your documents have been checked, verified and copied they will be returned to you the same day.

Proof of Identity: (for new claims only)

You will have to prove your identity by providing proof of your National Insurance Number(s) for both you and your partner. An original document with the number on it must be provided. Examples of acceptable proof are:

If you do not have a National Insurance number or an original document with the number on it, you must provide TWO different original forms of identification, for example:

Proof of all your income and savings:

If you and/or your partner receive a state benefit such as Pension Credit, Job Seekers Allowance, Income Support, Employment & Support Allowance you must provide a current letter from the Department of Work & Pensions or Pensions Service.

If you and/or your partner get a private pension, we will need to see your latest advice slip from the company or organisation that pays your pension, even if it is paid directly into your bank account.

If you and/or your partner have earnings from employment, we will need to see consecutive pay-slips (5 weekly pay-slips or 2 monthly pay-slips) OR a detailed letter from your employer.

If you and/or your partner have earnings from self-employment, we will need to see the most recent audited accounts OR a completed self-employed form and bank statements.

If you and/or your partner get Tax Credits and/or Child Benefit, we will need to see all the pages of your current award letter from HM Revenue and Customs.

If you and/or your partner receive maintenance, we will need to see proof, for example a letter from the person who pays the maintenance.

If you and/or your partner are a student, we will need to see the whole of your current Student Loan letter and proof of your term dates for the current academic year.

If you and/or your partner have savings/capital, we will need to see bank/building society accounts for the last 2 months, up-to-date statements showing the current values/balances of any ISAs, bonds, National Saving Certificates, shares etc.

If you and/ or your partner own or part-own any property, othe than the property where you currently live, you must enter full details on the application form. We will contact you for more information about this.

If you have any other type of income, capital or savings not listed above, you must provide up-to-date proof.

Proof of Rent:

If you are claiming Housing Benefit as a tenant of a private landlord or a Housing Association, you need to send us proof of how much rent you pay, and what services are included in your rent. Services include things like heating, water rates and meals. You will need to show us your tenancy agreement and up to date proof of your rent payments. If you do not have a tenancy agreement, we will need a letter from your landlord or you can ask your landlord to complete and return a Landlord Declaration Form.

Back to top of page Back to Top How to get here
Fareham Borough Council, Civic Offices, Civic Way, Hampshire, PO16 7AZ
Tel: +44 (0) 1329 236100 | Mobile Text/Photo: 07860 098627
RSS Feeds