skip to main content

Accessibility and Display Options

Choose accessibility and display settings
Text Preferences
Colour Schemes
Save Close

Cookies and Privacy

This site uses cookies to store information on your computer

Some of these cookies are necessary to make the site work. We’d also like to use optional cookies to help improve your experience on the site. You can manage your optional cookie preferences below. Using this tool will set a cookie on your device to remember your preferences. Your preferences can be changed at any time.

For further details, see our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy

I AcceptI Do Not Accept


Essential cookies enable core functionality such as page navigation and access to secure areas. The website cannot function properly without these cookies; they can only be disabled by changing your browser preferences. Third party functions such as Google Search and Analytics will not be enabled.


Performance settings enable you to use the Google Search engine on our website and help us to improve our website by collecting and reporting information on its usage (for example, which of our pages are most frequently visited).

Save and Close


You are here: Home / Benefits

Universal Credit, Housing Benefit and Council Tax Supportcalculator

Information about claiming Universal Credit, Statutory Sick Pay and other support available can be found on the Government website External Hyperlink

On the 4th May 2021, new regulations came into effect to help people in problem debt to better manage their finances. If you would like further information or would like to find out if you are eligible, please see our Breathing Space webpage.

If you pay rent or council tax for your home and live on a low income (even if you are in full-time work or self-employed), you may be entitled to some help by claiming one or more of the above benefits.

The amount or type of help you will receive depends on who lives with you, the amount of money you have coming in to your household, and any other benefits and savings you have.

You will need to claim Universal Credit if you are of working age and need help towards your rent. See the information link below which explains this new benefit and how to make a claim.

Some of the rules for assessing how much benefit or support you could get are different depending upon your age. From the 15 May 2019 you will be advised to claim Universal Credit if you are of pensionable age but your partner has not reached pensionable age.

Contact Benefits by email: or phone: 01329 824646.

 Council Tax Support

Council Tax Support from April 2023

National welfare reform changes

See how you may be affected by these changes:

Changes to Welfare Benefits

arrow Information for working age people

Information about Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support specifically for people of a working age.  If you have been told to claim Universal Credit please see the information below which provides guidance on how to claim.

arrow Universal Credit

Information about the new benefit specifically for people of working age.

arrow Information for pensioners

Information about Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support specifically for people of a pensionable age.

arrow How to claim

If you pay rent or council tax for your home, and live on a low income, you may be entitled to claim.  If you have been told to claim Universal Credit, please view our Universal Credit page on how to claim "housing costs".  Council Tax Support must still be claimed from Fareham Borough Council.

arrow Change to your existing claim

Find out what you need to tell us when your circumstances change.

arrow Information for landlords

Information about Housing Benefit and Universal Credit specifically for landlords.

arrow Appeals

Find out what to do if you think that a decision about your Housing Benefit ,Council Tax Support or Universal Credit is wrong.

arrow Overpayments

Overpayments occur when you have received too much Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support.

arrow Extra help

Discretionary Housing Payments provide Universal Credit and Housing Benefit claimants with further assistance where the Local Authority considers that additional help with housing costs is needed.

If you are struggling to pay your Council Tax or having difficulty affording your instalments then please contact the Council Tax office on 01329 824651 or email

arrow Benefit fraud

Information about Universal Credit, Housing Benefit and Council Tax Support fraud and how to report it.

Back to top of page Back to Top How to get here
Fareham Borough Council, Civic Offices, Civic Way, Hampshire, PO16 7AZ
Tel: +44 (0) 1329 236100 | Mobile Text/Photo: 07860 098627
RSS Feeds