Accessibility and Display Options

Choose accessibility and display settings
Text Preferences
Colour Schemes
Save Close


Year 12 Council Tax Support Scheme

As a result of our public consultations that we have undertaken since 2013, the general view is that working age claimants should pay more towards their Council Tax, rather than cutting Council services. The Council Tax Support Scheme from 1 April 2024 incorporates some amendments to reflect allowances as outlined in Government Regulations for Housing Benefit.

Further information is available on the summary of our new 2024 scheme for working age people PDF (229 KB) and the full detail of the scheme PDF (1 MB).

If you are of pension credit age, a working-age war pensioner or are severely disabled you will continue to receive the same level of support as previously.  However, if you are of working age and have a non dependant living in your household, you may have to pay more Council Tax.

Excluding those who are protected, households who receive help with their Council Tax because they are on low income will have to pay at least 20% towards their Council Tax. Anyone living in a Band D property or above will also have their Council Tax Support restricted to 80% of the Council Tax liability for a Band C property.  For details of bandings of properties and the amount of Council Tax for each band you can visit the Council Tax pages and see how this will affect you.

How do I apply for Council Tax Support?

If you haven't got a current claim and you are on a low income, or you want more information then see our Information for Working Age people, Universal Credit or Information for Pensioners pages, and our How to Claim page.

Back to top of page Back to Top How to get here RSS Feeds