skip to main content

Accessibility and Display Options

Choose accessibility and display settings
Text Preferences
Colour Schemes
Save Close

Cookies and Privacy

This site uses cookies to store information on your computer

Some of these cookies are necessary to make the site work. We’d also like to use optional cookies to help improve your experience on the site. You can manage your optional cookie preferences below. Using this tool will set a cookie on your device to remember your preferences. Your preferences can be changed at any time.

For further details, see our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy

I AcceptI Do Not Accept


Essential cookies enable core functionality such as page navigation and access to secure areas. The website cannot function properly without these cookies; they can only be disabled by changing your browser preferences. Third party functions such as Google Search and Analytics will not be enabled.


Performance settings enable you to use the Google Search engine on our website and help us to improve our website by collecting and reporting information on its usage (for example, which of our pages are most frequently visited).

Save and Close


You are here: Home / Benefits / Overpayments


Overpayments happen when you have received too much Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support. This might be because your circumstances have changed. If this happens, we will send you a letter with details of the overpayment and we will normally ask you to pay this money back. We will take into account your circumstances and who we paid your benefit to.

Paying back a Housing Benefit overpayment

The way you pay back a Housing Benefit overpayment depends on whether your claim is still in payment or not and whether you rent from the council, or a private landlord or housing association.

Paying back a Council Tax Support overpayment

We will take the overpaid support back out of your Council Tax account and you will get a new Council Tax bill with more to pay. The Council Tax office will try and collect this money from you fairly, such as by increasing your monthly instalments.

Other ways we can get the money back

What if I disagree with the overpayment?

See our Appeals page for information about what to do if you disagree with an overpayment.


Back to top of page Back to Top How to get here
Fareham Borough Council, Civic Offices, Civic Way, Hampshire, PO16 7AZ
Tel: +44 (0) 1329 236100 | Mobile Text/Photo: 07860 098627
RSS Feeds