Accessibility and Display Options

Choose accessibility and display settings
Text Preferences
Colour Schemes
Save Close


Universal Credit

Universal Credit, which is administered by the Department for Work & Pensions, is a new simpler, single monthly payment for people in or out of work, which will join together some of the benefits and tax credits that you might be getting now. Universal Credit will replace:

If you need to make a new claim for any of the above benefits from the 28 November 2018 you will be told to claim Universal Credit.  If you are currently claiming any of the benefits that are listed above, you will not need to claim Universal Credit unless you have a change in circumstances. Eventually you will be moved onto Universal Credit, even if you have no change in your circumstances.

Find out if you are eligible External Hyperlink and what you might get External Hyperlink.

There are a small number of people who will not have their housing costs paid as part of their Universal Credit and will continue to receive help towards their rent by claiming Housing Benefit from Fareham Borough Council for example:

Universal Credit does not include help to pay your council tax. You will still need to claim Council Tax Support with Fareham Council's Benefit Section.

In most cases you will be expected to make your claim online. Universal Credit cannot be backdated so it is important that you make your claim as soon as possible. You need to allow up to 40 minutes to complete an application form. You need an email address in order to claim online. To make your claim you will need:


How to claim Universal Credit External Hyperlink

Helping someone claim Universal Credit External Hyperlink

How will Universal Credit be paid External Hyperlink

Get help before your first payment External Hyperlink

How your earnings affect your payments External Hyperlink

Report a change in your circumstances External Hyperlink

Digital Support

If you do not have access to the internet you may be able to gain access to public computers at these venues PDF (153 KB). Alterntiavely if you need support face to face to fill out an online application you can contact Citizens Advice on 03444 111 306 for an appointment or visit at their offices Mon-Fri 10am-4pm and Thursday evening 5pm-6.30pm (see below for the address).

You can also ask for help over the phone from the Universal Credit free helpline on 0800 328 5644. You will need to advise them why you can't apply online for example if you have problems reading or writing.


If you need help setting up an email account you can find out how on Which? External Hyperlink

Managing your Money

Universal Credit will be a single monthly payment paid into a bank account. If you do not have a bank account or you have a poor credit history you can find out more information online about bank account options External Hyperlink

If you need help with planning a budget for recieving Universal Credit as a monthly payment you can find some helpful advice External Hyperlink online from the Money Advice Service. Alternatively you can contact Fareham Citizens Advice for help on 03444 111 306. There is a drop in service Mon to Fri 10am-4pm  and Thurs evening 5pm-6.30pm. They are located at:

1st Floor of Fareham Library
Osborn Road
PO16 7EN

For helpful hints and tips see Universal Credit and the Money Advice Service External Hyperlink

Our simple user friendly budget planner External Hyperlink is free to use and only takes a short while to complete.

Your Universal Credit payment provides a month's support and may include an amount for your housing costs. This means you will be responsible for paying rent to your landlord yourself. If you have been used to managing your money weekly or fortnightly, or having your rent paid directly to your landlord, you may need to find new ways to manage your money.

If you are having difficulty with paying your rent or you fall into arrears, you or your landlord may be able to ask for an alternative payment arrangement External Hyperlink. There are other forms of financial support available and you can get help and advice from Universal Credit, other organisations and Fareham Borough Council.

If you need extra help with your housing costs and you are claiming Universal Credit or Housing Benefit you can ask us to help via a Discretionary Housing Payment. If you want to discuss this then give us a call on 01329 824646 or email us at

Other benefits that you can claim without your savings, your partner's savings or their income being taken into account are:

You can apply for these if you're eligible for Universal Credit.

Back to top of page Back to Top How to get here RSS Feeds