skip to main content

Accessibility and Display Options

Choose accessibility and display settings
Text Preferences
Colour Schemes
Save Close

Cookies and Privacy

This site uses cookies to store information on your computer

Some of these cookies are necessary to make the site work. We’d also like to use optional cookies to help improve your experience on the site. You can manage your optional cookie preferences below. Using this tool will set a cookie on your device to remember your preferences. Your preferences can be changed at any time.

For further details, see our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy

I AcceptI Do Not Accept


Essential cookies enable core functionality such as page navigation and access to secure areas. The website cannot function properly without these cookies; they can only be disabled by changing your browser preferences. Third party functions such as Google Search and Analytics will not be enabled.


Performance settings enable you to use the Google Search engine on our website and help us to improve our website by collecting and reporting information on its usage (for example, which of our pages are most frequently visited).

Save and Close


You are here: Home / Benefits

How Benefit is Paid

Housing Benefit

If you are a Council Tenant, we will pay your Housing Benefit straight into your rent account at the beginning of every rent week.

If you are a Housing Association or private tenant, we will make a payment by BACS every four weeks. Payment to your landlord can only be made in exceptional circumstances and if you are likely to have difficulty paying your rent. We have a vulnerability policy PDF (461 KB) which identifies the circumstances in which Housing Benefit payments can be made to a third party.

Universal Credit

Universal Credit is paid once a month, usually into your bank, building society or credit union account. If your payment includes an amount for housing costs you will need to pay your Landlord direct. It usually takes around 5 weeks to get your first payment.  After the first payment you will be paid on the same date of every month. If you are not able to open a bank, building society or credit union account call the Universal Credit External Hyperlink helpline who may be able to offer an alternative payment method.

Council Tax Support 

Council Tax Support  is always added to the Council Tax account of the liable person. The Council Tax section will ensure that you receive a new bill every time that you have support credited to your account or your amount of support changes.


Back to Benefits Home Page

Back to top of page Back to Top How to get here
Fareham Borough Council, Civic Offices, Civic Way, Hampshire, PO16 7AZ
Tel: +44 (0) 1329 236100 | Mobile Text/Photo: 07860 098627
RSS Feeds