skip to main content

Accessibility and Display Options

Choose accessibility and display settings
Text Preferences
Colour Schemes
Save Close

Cookie preferences

We and our partners use technologies such as cookies on our site to enhance your user experience, personalise content and analyse our traffic.

Accept the recommended settings to consent to the use of this technology on our site.

To change your consent choices at any time please use the toggles below.

For further details, see our Cookie Policy

Accept recommended settings

Essential cookies

Essential cookies enable core functionality such as page navigation and access to secure areas. The website cannot function properly without these cookies; they can only be disabled by changing your browser preferences.

Performance cookies

Performance cookies help us to improve our website by collecting and reporting information on its usage (for example, which of our pages are most frequently visited).

Save and Close


You are here: Home / Council Tax / How Is My Council Tax Calculated / Who Has To Pay

Joint Liability

Where two or more people hold the same interest in the property and they are all resident, each person is jointly responsible for the whole charge.

The same rule applies to people who are jointly entitled to possession if the owner is liable.

The resident partner of any person liable to pay Council Tax is also jointly liable for the whole charge.

Where someone is severely mentally impaired or a student, they cannot be deemed jointly and severally liable with any other parties. For more information regarding severe mental impairment or students, see discounts, disregards and exemptions.

For further information please contact the Council Tax office on Tel: 01329 236100, or e-mail

Back to top of page Back to Top How to get here
Fareham Borough Council, Civic Offices, Civic Way, Hampshire, PO16 7AZ
Tel: +44 (0) 1329 236100 | Mobile Text/Photo: 07876 131415
RSS Feeds