Hampshire County Council work to improve A27 St Margarets Roundabout
Hampshire County Council carried out work to improve congestion at St Margarets Roundabout (the roundabout next to the Holiday Inn) on the A27. The works were designed to improve the management of traffic, ease congestion at peak times, and improve pedestrian and cycle facilities.
What changes took place?
- Traffic lights on the A27 Southampton Road, Cartwright Drive and Warsash Road approaches to the roundabout, together with traffic lights and extra lanes going around the roundabout.
- Extra traffic lanes on the A27 Southampton Road approaches to the roundabout.
- Widened traffic lanes on the Cartwright Drive approach to the roundabout to better accommodate lorries, and redesignate the traffic lanes so that lane 1 is for turning left towards Fareham, and lane 2 is for all other destinations.
- Provide a right turn lane into The Holiday Inn.
- Provide a separate traffic lane into the Shell fuel filling station and shop.
- A shared use pedestrian and cycle route on the north side of the A27 with signal controlled crossing facilities across Cartwright Drive and across the A27 on the west side of the roundabout.