skip to main content

Accessibility and Display Options

Choose accessibility and display settings
Text Preferences
Colour Schemes
Save Close

Cookies and Privacy

This site uses cookies to store information on your computer

Some of these cookies are necessary to make the site work. We’d also like to use optional cookies to help improve your experience on the site. You can manage your optional cookie preferences below. Using this tool will set a cookie on your device to remember your preferences. Your preferences can be changed at any time.

For further details, see our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy

I AcceptI Do Not Accept


Essential cookies enable core functionality such as page navigation and access to secure areas. The website cannot function properly without these cookies; they can only be disabled by changing your browser preferences. Third party functions such as Google Search and Analytics will not be enabled.


Performance settings enable you to use the Google Search engine on our website and help us to improve our website by collecting and reporting information on its usage (for example, which of our pages are most frequently visited).

Save and Close


You are here: Home / Waste Collection And Recycling / Refuse Two / What Can I Put In My Bin

Hazardous Household Waste

What is hazardous household waste?

Hazardous household waste is any material thrown away by a household which puts human health or the environment at risk due to its chemical or biological nature. 

What hazardous products might I have at home?

Some examples that you might have at home are:

Household products: including white spirit, paint brush cleaners, hazardous paint products (those with orange and black hazard symbols), descalers, stain removers, drain cleaners, any household batteries, fluorescent light tubes and compact fluorescent lamps, glues, photographic chemicals, oven cleaners, swimming pool cleaners and camping (lpg) gas bottles.

Garden products: including pesticides, insecticides, lawn treatments, fungicides, weed killers and wood preservatives.

Car maintenance products: including antifreeze, brake fluid, lubricants and degreasers.


How should I handle hazardous household waste?


How do I dispose of hazardous household waste?

HWRCs have to be licensed to accept hazardous waste. The nearest to Fareham are Segensworth, and Port Solent. Details of others in Hampshire are available External Hyperlink.

At the HWRC all items are stored in dedicated, lockable containers and are then taken away for safe disposal or, in some cases, to be recycled. On arrival at the HWRC you should contact a member of site staff who will direct you to the appropriate container and unlock it, so that the waste can be safely stored inside. Never leave any hazardous waste unattended.


Which types of hazardous waste are not accepted, and what should I do with them?


Where can I get more information?

Please visit External Hyperlink or email


Back to top of page Back to Top How to get here
Fareham Borough Council, Civic Offices, Civic Way, Hampshire, PO16 7AZ
Tel: +44 (0) 1329 236100 | Mobile Text/Photo: 07860 098627
RSS Feeds