skip to main content

Accessibility and Display Options

Choose accessibility and display settings
Text Preferences
Colour Schemes
Save Close


Private Tenants

This section does not apply if you pay your rent to a Housing Association.An image of a property to let

Local Housing Allowance is the scheme used to assess new claims for Housing Benefit for tenants renting accommodation from a private landlord and also affects tenants already getting Housing Benefit who move into rented accommodation from a private landlord.

With Local Housing Allowance, your benefit is not usually based on the property you live in.

It is usually based on:

In some cases the amount of benefit you are entitled to will be affected by other things.

These can include:

Local Housing Allowance gives tenants more choice in where they live.

This is because with Local Housing Allowance:

To work out how much benefit you might get you need to:

The amount of benefit you can get may be affected by:

Once you have established the LHA rate applicable to your circumstances work out your benefit entitlement by visiting our web calculator.

If there is a difference between the actual rent you are charged and your Housing Benefit entitlement, you will be responsible for making this up.

There is a scheme available to assist benefit claimants if they will suffer hardship as a result of rent restrictions. For more information, please see our section on Discretionary Housing Payments.


Back to Benefits Home Page


Back to top of page Back to Top How to get here
Fareham Borough Council, Civic Offices, Civic Way, Hampshire, PO16 7AZ
Tel: +44 (0) 1329 236100 | Mobile Text/Photo: 07860 098627
RSS Feeds