skip to main content

Accessibility and Display Options

Choose accessibility and display settings
Text Preferences
Colour Schemes
Save Close

Cookies and Privacy

This site uses cookies to store information on your computer

Some of these cookies are necessary to make the site work. We’d also like to use optional cookies to help improve your experience on the site. You can manage your optional cookie preferences below. Using this tool will set a cookie on your device to remember your preferences. Your preferences can be changed at any time.

For further details, see our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy

I AcceptI Do Not Accept


Essential cookies enable core functionality such as page navigation and access to secure areas. The website cannot function properly without these cookies; they can only be disabled by changing your browser preferences. Third party functions such as Google Search and Analytics will not be enabled.


Performance settings enable you to use the Google Search engine on our website and help us to improve our website by collecting and reporting information on its usage (for example, which of our pages are most frequently visited).

Save and Close


You are here: Home / Latest News

Press Release

27 February 2017

Fareham confirms increase for 2017/18 Council Tax

Fareham Borough Council is increasing its part of Council Tax by £5 for the 2017/18 financial year.  This increase means Fareham residents living in Band D properties will now pay the Council £150.22 (41p per day).

Over seven of the last eight years the Council has been able to freeze Fareham's part of Council Tax by running services more efficiently and through careful financial management. 

Despite these efficiencies finances are getting tighter. This year funding has been reduced by a further £1million - around 21% of the funding the Council receives from Central Government. As a result the Council has to find new ways to ensure that residents continue to receive the high level of service they expect.

Executive Leader of Fareham Borough Council, Cllr Seán Woodward said: 'Despite very challenging financial conditions and receiving one of the lowest levels of Government support in Hampshire, Fareham still benefits from excellent services and one of the smallest district Council Tax rates in England.  Our residents will be interested to know that we spend £47m every year delivering services yet only 12% of that is raised through Council Tax.  The Council needs to raise the remainder by other means."  

Only 10% of the total Council Tax paid by residents goes to Fareham Borough Council.  The remaining 90% pays for services provided by Hampshire County Council, Hampshire Fire and Rescue Authority and the Hampshire Police and Crime Commissioner.

For further information about Council Tax visit /council_tax/intro.aspx



Editors Notes: The table below shows the full Council Tax for each property band in Fareham:


This Year

Last Year


















































For further information contact:

Becca Bennett, PR and Marketing Support Assistant, Tel: 01329 824609


Back to top of page Back to Top How to get here
Fareham Borough Council, Civic Offices, Civic Way, Hampshire, PO16 7AZ
Tel: +44 (0) 1329 236100 | Mobile Text/Photo: 07860 098627
RSS Feeds