skip to main content

Accessibility and Display Options

Choose accessibility and display settings
Text Preferences
Colour Schemes
Save Close

Cookies and Privacy

This site uses cookies to store information on your computer

Some of these cookies are necessary to make the site work. We’d also like to use optional cookies to help improve your experience on the site. You can manage your optional cookie preferences below. Using this tool will set a cookie on your device to remember your preferences. Your preferences can be changed at any time.

For further details, see our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy

I AcceptI Do Not Accept


Essential cookies enable core functionality such as page navigation and access to secure areas. The website cannot function properly without these cookies; they can only be disabled by changing your browser preferences. Third party functions such as Google Search and Analytics will not be enabled.


Performance settings enable you to use the Google Search engine on our website and help us to improve our website by collecting and reporting information on its usage (for example, which of our pages are most frequently visited).

Save and Close


You are here: Home / Parking And Traffic / Traffic Management

Road closures (temporary) and diversions (including temporary signs and traffic lights)

When work is needed on the highway, the safety of everyone is paramount. Traffic (vehicles, cyclists and pedestrians) must be warned about the works and guided safely around them with temporary signs. This often means use of temporary traffic lights, which can only be used if an application has been made and agreed. If it is impossible or unsafe to carry out work in proximity to 'live' traffic, we may need to put diversions in place and close the road. We never take this decision lightly.

Hampshire County Council seeks to minimise any disruption from road works by co-ordinating work on the highway, this is known as network management). Where possible, individual utility companies such as electricity, gas, communications, water etc are encouraged to take advantage of programmed work of others. Once an organisation has road space 'booked' for works, it is obliged to complete it as quickly as possible.

Other highway related works and/or closures, such as statutory undertaker works (Gas/Elec/Water/Phone etc.) can be viewed at External Hyperlink or on the Hampshire County Council Public Notices External Hyperlink webpage.

Hampshire County Council's responsibilities

Note - temporary signs and traffic lights must comply with the Traffic Signs Manual, Chapter 8 (Traffic Safety Measures and Signs for Road Works and Temporary Situations).

Fareham Borough Council's responsibilities

For a street party or non-profit fundraising event

Before we can give approval for the event, these conditions must be met:

The Event Co-ordinator is responsible for:

For a street party only

For more information, contact our department of regulatory and democratic services on 01329 236100 or e-mail

Back to top of page Back to Top How to get here
Fareham Borough Council, Civic Offices, Civic Way, Hampshire, PO16 7AZ
Tel: +44 (0) 1329 236100 | Mobile Text/Photo: 07860 098627
RSS Feeds