skip to main content

Accessibility and Display Options

Choose accessibility and display settings
Text Preferences
Colour Schemes
Save Close

Cookies and Privacy

This site uses cookies to store information on your computer

Some of these cookies are necessary to make the site work. We’d also like to use optional cookies to help improve your experience on the site. You can manage your optional cookie preferences below. Using this tool will set a cookie on your device to remember your preferences. Your preferences can be changed at any time.

For further details, see our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy

I AcceptI Do Not Accept


Essential cookies enable core functionality such as page navigation and access to secure areas. The website cannot function properly without these cookies; they can only be disabled by changing your browser preferences. Third party functions such as Google Search and Analytics will not be enabled.


Performance settings enable you to use the Google Search engine on our website and help us to improve our website by collecting and reporting information on its usage (for example, which of our pages are most frequently visited).

Save and Close


You are here: Home / Benefits / Calculator

The Web Benefits Calculator

Simply fill out this form for an instant on-line Benefits estimate

The Web Benefits Calculator - simply fill out this form for an instant on-line Benefits estimate
Remember this calculation is an estimate based on the information you supply. For a full evaluation make a formal claim asap.
Usually Benefit will only start from the Monday after the Council receive your form.

Step 1
This section requests rent and weekly LHA details for a Housing Benefit Claim
( skip Step 1 if you just want help with your Council Tax bill )


Step 2
This section requests your Council Tax details
(skip this stage if you do not want help with your Council Tax bill)

Step 3
This section requests some General Information about you.

If you answer "Yes" to this first question you can skip all the income questions (steps 7 to 11) because your income will be entirely disregarded for the purposes of this calculation.

Step 4
This section looks for claimant (and partner) work capacity / health / disability issues or carer functions (if any)
(otherwise skip this step)

If you are doing permitted work, please contact Fareham Council's Benefit section for further advice on how this may affect your entitlement to Benefit.
Be sure to enter any Employment and Support Allowance payments down at Step 8 as other unearned income. Where a partner gets the (higher) ESA support component, a couple might want to swap claim roles to increase potential HB/CTB.

You get Attendance Allowance, Constant Attendance Allowance, Disability Living Allowance, Invalid Vehicle Scheme or Motability, War Pensioners' Mobility Supplement, Severe Disablement Allowance, Incapacity Benefit (paid at the long term rate) or you are registered blind (or regained your sight in the last 28 weeks)?
Or you (the claimant only) have been off work sick for at least 52 weeks (28 if terminally ill) with medical evidence / sick notes ?

  1. You (and partner) get care component of Disability Living Allowance (middle/high rate) or Attendance Allowance or Constant Attendance Allowance  (or partner blind and you get one), and
  2. No other adult lives in your home except your partner, other than disabled persons, your carer, landlord or other tenants,

Step 5
This section requests details of your children and young persons for whom child benefit is paid.

Step 6
This section requests details for single lone parents only
otherwise skip this step

Step 7
This section requests your earnings details
(As mentioned at Step 3, skip to step 12 if you are on Income Support, Income-based JSA, Income-related ESA or PGC)

Give figures for the claimant (and partner). Include average earnings from employment and self employment.

£ Weekly

£ Monthly

Step 8
This section requests your Unearned income figures for you (and your partner).
(Please make them weekly.)

Do subtract a £20.00 disregard from the weekly rent received from each one.



We do not count War Pensions, charitable payments or payments made as a result of personal injury as income. So do not enter them below.

Step 9
This section requests your Savings, Investments and other assets
(claimant and partner).

You cannot qualify for any Housing Benefit or (most) Council Tax Benefit if you and any partner have £16,000 or more in savings and investments. The home you live in and personal possessions do not count.


Step 10
This section requests your eligible childcare charges (up to £175 p/w for 1 child or £300 for more) and student expenses.

Charges for registered or approved childcare can be deducted from the income of couples or lone parents in remunerative work or on Statutory Sick, Maternity, Paternity or Adoption Pay or a similar benefit (up to 28 weeks). Each parent must be working at least 16 hours a week - but couples still qualify if one works and the partner is incapacitated, in hospital or prison. N.B. costs of childcare in the child's own home by a close relative are excluded.


Step 11
This section looks for Tax Credits and Pension Credit (Savings Credit) income. Any entitlement calculated in this section will be added to your claim income for the purpose of this benefit calculation


Step 12
This section looks for other adults who live with you but pay no rent (often grown-up children)
but don't count your partner or students.

These "non-dependants" are assumed to be contributing to the household income so a deduction is made from any benefit for each one. So do enter the number of non-dependants in each of these Income Categories but skip this step if you (or your partner) is disabled due to blindness, or in receipt of the Disability Living Allowance care component or Attendance Allowance has been awarded.

That's all you need to do!

Click and let the program work it out.

(automatically calculated)

Tax / Pension Credits p/w

How your benefit is worked out. If the Total Applicable Amount is higher than Net Weekly Income, Maximum Benefit is awarded. But if Net Weekly Income is higher than the Total Applicable Amount, 65% of the "excess income" is deducted from Maximum HB to find the award. For Council Tax Benefit a 20% of the "excess income" taper is deducted from the maximum award. NB Non-dependant deductions are also taken off at this stage.

Alternative Council Tax Benefit is often called Second Adult Rebate. It is based on the income of the non-dependants. The program calculates if you are better off with a benefit award based on your circumstances or your non-dependants.

Second adult rebate weekly CT Benefit.

And finally you can use the browser Print button to launch a print or change your figures to calculate again or the whole lot.

Valid from April 2012 through March 2013 - Copyright


Back to top of page Back to Top How to get here
Fareham Borough Council, Civic Offices, Civic Way, Hampshire, PO16 7AZ
Tel: +44 (0) 1329 236100 | Mobile Text/Photo: 07860 098627
RSS Feeds