The Equality Act 2010 introduced a new Public Sector Equality Duty (PSED).
The general duty requires public bodies to pay due regard, in the exercise of their functions, to the following three aims:
- Eliminate unlawful discrimination, harassment, victimisation and other conduct prohibited by the Act
- Advance equality of opportunity between people who share a protected characteristic and those who do not
- Foster good relations between people who share a protected characteristic and those who do not
The PSED is supported by a set of specific duties which are intended to help public bodies to carry out the above aims in a way that is tangible, transparent and accountable. One of these is to prepare and publish at least one equality objective.
Fareham's equality objectives 2022-26
In November 2022, The Council's Executive Committee adopted the following set of equality objectives up to 2026:
- Improve our understanding of Fareham's community, enabling the Council to meaningfully engage in decision making.
- Use census 2021 data and other statistical sources to better understand our customers
- Record protected characteristics as part of consultation and engagement proportionally where appropriate
- Ensure our communications, engagement and consultation is accessible to all residents
- Celebrate diversity and promote inclusion across our community, ensuring Fareham Borough Council services are accessible to all members of our community.
- Promote and celebrate the cultures within our community and voluntary sector
- Work with partnership agencies to promote access to advice and services
- Promote the availability of inclusive services across the Borough
- Embed an inclusive mindset across Fareham Borough Council.
- Review and update equalities training material and plans for our staff
- Outline our approach to equality as part of induction package for both new staff and Members
- Provide training for staff, appropriate to roles and responsibilities
- Promote a culture of equality within the Council, nurturing diversity