skip to main content

Accessibility and Display Options

Choose accessibility and display settings
Text Preferences
Colour Schemes
Save Close


People providing or receiving care in the home

Some carers, and some people receiving care, may be entitled to a range of different reductions depending on their circumstances.

In all cases, the care that is being given or received must be for:


If a carer lives in someone else's house and provides care, he or she will not be counted when adding up the number of adults who live in the property, as long as the carer is:

If this means that only one person is counted, you will be entitled to a 25% discount from your Council Tax bill.

If no-one is counted because everyone resident is disregarded, you will be entitled to a 50% discount off your Council Tax.


If you have left your own home to provide care for someone else you may be entitled to exemption from Council Tax for your former home (see conditions).

Your former home may still be exempt even if you have not moved into the home of the person for whom you are caring.

Fareham Borough Council will probably have to agree with another local council that your main residence has now changed.

If you are a carer whose former home is outside Fareham you will need to contact the local council concerned.

If you want to apply for a discount or exemption for a property in Fareham, email

You must inform the Council if you are no longer entitled to a discount or exemption. We will take legal action against anyone who fraudulently claims a discount or exemption.


Conditions that apply to disregarding (not counting) a carer who is an employee living in the home

The person who is providing the care must be:

Conditions that apply to disregarding (not counting) a carer who is a relative or friend

The person providing care must not be:

The person who is providing the care must be:

  1. An attendance allowance
  2. The highest or middle rate of the care component of a disability living allowance
  3. The highest rate of disablement pension
  4. An increase in a constant attendance allowance.

Conditions that apply to exemptions for premises left empty while the former resident is providing care elsewhere

For further information please contact the Council Tax office on Tel: 01329 824651, or e-mail

Back to top of page Back to Top How to get here
Fareham Borough Council, Civic Offices, Civic Way, Hampshire, PO16 7AZ
Tel: +44 (0) 1329 236100 | Mobile Text/Photo: 07860 098627
RSS Feeds