skip to main content

Accessibility and Display Options

Choose accessibility and display settings
Text Preferences
Colour Schemes
Save Close


You are here: Home / Have Your Say / Ccc

Complaints Policy


At Fareham Borough Council we aim to provide high quality services at all times. However, we recognise that things don't always go to plan, and there may be times when we don't live up to your expectations. If this happens, we want you to tell us and we will do our very best to put things right, as quickly as possible.

If you are reading this because you feel that the Council has done something wrong or failed to do something you expected it to, this guide is to help you to tell us why you are not satisfied and to explain how we will deal with your complaint. This guide applies to most complaints, but there are some cases which will be treated in a different way. If this is the case, we will let you know.

We hope to resolve issues as soon as we know about them. We will also try to make sure that we fix the root cause of problems so that we don't make similar mistakes again.

Complaints procedure

We will fully investigate every complaint. Even if your complaint relates to a particular policy decision and we are not necessarily able to change things, we will explain the situation to you.

We want to resolve your complaint straightaway and, in the majority of cases, the first person you speak to will usually be able to resolve things for you.

Stage 1 - At the first stage the Head of Service in the department responsible for the service will investigate your complaint.

Stage 2 - If you are unhappy with our response the Director of the Department responsible for the service will review your complaint.

We will keep you up to date whilst we are investigating your complaint, until we provide you with a resolution letter. In most cases we will be able to resolve your complaint within three weeks of receiving it. In exceptional circumstances, particularly where your complaint is complex, it may take more than three weeks to resolve matters for you, however we will let you know if this is the case.

If you have been through all stages of our complaints procedure and are still unhappy, you can ask the Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman to review your complaint.  The Ombudsman offers a free service and investigates complaints in a fair and independent way - it does not take sides.  The Ombudsman expects you to have given us the chance to deal with your complaint before you contact them.  If you have not heard from us within a reasonable time (usually within 12 weeks), it may decide to look into your complaint anyway.

The quickest way to complain to the Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman is to complete an online complaint form.  You can also complain by telephone.  Contact details are:

The Local Government and Social Care Ombudsman

Tel: 0300 061 0614

Text 'call back' to 0762 481 1595

Online complaint form: External Hyperlink


Housing Ombudsman Service (for issues relating to Local Authority Housing only)

Tel:  0300 111 3000

Online complaint form: External Hyperlink


How and where to complain to

If you are not satisfied with any aspect of our service, you can tell us about your concerns in the following ways:


Telephone: 01329 236100


By post:

Customer Service Centre
Fareham Borough Council
Civic Offices
Civic Way
PO16 7AZ

Back to top of page Back to Top How to get here
Fareham Borough Council, Civic Offices, Civic Way, Hampshire, PO16 7AZ
Tel: +44 (0) 1329 236100 | Mobile Text/Photo: 07876 131415
RSS Feeds