skip to main content

Accessibility and Display Options

Choose accessibility and display settings
Text Preferences
Colour Schemes
Save Close

Cookies and Privacy

This site uses cookies to store information on your computer

Some of these cookies are necessary to make the site work. We’d also like to use optional cookies to help improve your experience on the site. You can manage your optional cookie preferences below. Using this tool will set a cookie on your device to remember your preferences. Your preferences can be changed at any time.

For further details, see our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy

I AcceptI Do Not Accept


Essential cookies enable core functionality such as page navigation and access to secure areas. The website cannot function properly without these cookies; they can only be disabled by changing your browser preferences. Third party functions such as Google Search and Analytics will not be enabled.


Performance settings enable you to use the Google Search engine on our website and help us to improve our website by collecting and reporting information on its usage (for example, which of our pages are most frequently visited).

Save and Close


You are here: Home / Housing / Looking For A Home

Information for asylum seekers

An asylum seeker is someone who has fled from their home country and is seeking protection in the UK. Asylum seekers are given temporary admission while the UK Borders Agency (UKBA) decides if they can stay permanently. For more information, see its website at  External Hyperlink

What should you do if you are an asylum seeker looking for accommodation?

If you haven't yet registered your claim for asylum, you should contact Immigration Services as quickly. You can only use this service if you:

If none of these apply to you, you must go to the nearest immigration screening unit.

If you are awaiting a decision on your application and the UKBA has provided you with accommodation, you should seek advice from the person helping you. If you cannot sort out the problem contact The Refugee Council  at External Hyperlink.

What should you do if you are a refugee looking for accommodation?

A refugee is someone who has been given leave to remain in the UK after fleeing their home country. Refugees are entitled to live in the UK and to apply for housing help from a local authority. You are treated as a refugee if you have been given one of these:

What are your housing rights?

People with indefinite leave have the right to help from us if they are homeless, as long as two other conditions are met:

People with the right to remain can also get help from housing associations, even if they do not meet the two conditions. In the first instance:

You may need to make a homeless application and may be offered bed & breakfast on a temporary basis.

For more information, contact us on 01329 236100, or e-mail:

Back to top of page Back to Top How to get here
Fareham Borough Council, Civic Offices, Civic Way, Hampshire, PO16 7AZ
Tel: +44 (0) 1329 236100 | Mobile Text/Photo: 07860 098627
RSS Feeds