skip to main content

Accessibility and Display Options

Choose accessibility and display settings
Text Preferences
Colour Schemes
Save Close

Cookies and Privacy

This site uses cookies to store information on your computer

Some of these cookies are necessary to make the site work. We’d also like to use optional cookies to help improve your experience on the site. You can manage your optional cookie preferences below. Using this tool will set a cookie on your device to remember your preferences. Your preferences can be changed at any time.

For further details, see our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy

I AcceptI Do Not Accept


Essential cookies enable core functionality such as page navigation and access to secure areas. The website cannot function properly without these cookies; they can only be disabled by changing your browser preferences. Third party functions such as Google Search and Analytics will not be enabled.


Performance settings enable you to use the Google Search engine on our website and help us to improve our website by collecting and reporting information on its usage (for example, which of our pages are most frequently visited).

Save and Close


You are here: Home / Licensing And Inspections / Licensing

Live and Recorded Music in Licensed Premises

The Live Music Act 2012 and the Legislative Reform (Entertainment Licensing) Order 2014 brought in exemptions from Licensing for Licensed Premises in respect of live and recorded music.

A licence is not required to stage a performance of live music, or the playing of recorded music if:

You also don't need a licence:

Premises Licenses do not need show these permissions as they all have granted by the above.

Some Premises Licences under the Licensing Act 2003 may contain permissions and conditions in relation to the playing of live or recorded music, as long as the above criteria are met, these no longer apply, and are therefore not enforceable by any of the responsible authorities, unless they have been subsequently added at a Review Hearing.

Environmental Health and Licensing can still deal with noise issues under the Environmental Protection Act 1990 and the Licensing Act 2003, where they are able to obtain first-hand evidence e.g., witness any noise whilst it is happening from an affected premises. To achieve this the Council has an out of office hours on call service 0800 374485 available

Register of Licensed Premises

Back to top of page Back to Top How to get here
Fareham Borough Council, Civic Offices, Civic Way, Hampshire, PO16 7AZ
Tel: +44 (0) 1329 236100 | Mobile Text/Photo: 07860 098627
RSS Feeds