Technical Specifications for Hackney Carriage Vehicles
Not all vehicles available on the commercial market are suitable to be licensed as a Hackney Carriage vehicle and Fareham Borough Council has therefore approved certain standards to guide proprietors on the type of vehicle considered suitable bearing in mind public comfort and safety and the legal requirements previously mentioned to assist owners when considering licensing their vehicle as a Hackney Carriage in the Fareham Borough.
These standards are:
- The vehicle must be right hand drive. Conversions from left to right hand drive will not be accepted for a hackney carriage licence.
- The vehicle must not have less than four wheels
- The vehicle must have a minimum of four doors, 2 doors must be available to all passengers seated in the vehicle for ease of access and egress.
- The rear seat of the vehicle when measured from edge to edge must be at least 1220mm (48 inches)
- The wheelbase of the vehicle must be at least 2540mm (100 inches) measured from the centre of the front wheel to the centre of the real wheel.
- The vehicle must be so constructed to carry a minimum of 4 passengers in comfort.
- The vehicle must be fitted with a meter set up by the meter agent with the current tariff for the Borough.
- The vehicle must be equipped with a roof sign showing the word 'TAXI' to both front and rear.
- It is a requirement of the Council that seat belts be provided for all persons seated in the vehicle, however, there are exemptions under the Department of Transport Child Car Seat rules and a copy of the leaflet can be obtained from the Council's Licensing Section.
- The Seat Belt notice and Tariff card must be displayed inside the vehicle.
- The Hackney Carriage licence number should be displayed on the plate provided on the vehicle in the area of the rear bumper.
- You may advertise on the front driver and passenger door panels however any type of advertising must be passed by an authorised licensing officer prior to being placed on the vehicle.
For further information please contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or by telephone on 01329 236100.