skip to main content

Accessibility and Display Options

Choose accessibility and display settings
Text Preferences
Colour Schemes
Save Close


You are here: Home / Benefits / Pensioners

Second Adult Rebate

This is the alternative maximum Council Tax reduction.

If you are a pensioner and the only Council Tax payer in your home, but you live with an adult who is not your partner or lodger, you may be entitled to some help towards your Council Tax based on their income.

Who can claim

If you are excluded from receiving a 25% Single Person Discount on your Council Tax bill due to other adults living in your household, you can apply for Second Adult Rebate (this is sometimes known as 2AR or Alternative Maximum Council Tax Reduction).

To qualify for a Second Adult Rebate the second adult(s) must be:

How to claim

You can apply over the phone, in person at the Civic Offices or we can visit you at home. Please see our 'How to Claim' page for more information


If the Second Adult is getting Income Support, Job Seekers Allowance (Income Based), Pension Credit or Employment & Support Allowance, 25% of your Council Tax bill will be discounted.

If the Second Adult is working and has a gross income of less than £215.00 per week, 15% of your Council Tax bill will be discounted

If the Second Adult is working and has a gross income between £215.00 and £279.00 per week, 7.5% of your Council Tax bill will be discounted.


In some circumstances a person may be entitled to both Council Tax Support and Second Adult Rebate. In these cases, the Benefit Section will award the higher of the two benefits.

Back to top of page Back to Top How to get here
Fareham Borough Council, Civic Offices, Civic Way, Hampshire, PO16 7AZ
Tel: +44 (0) 1329 236100 | Mobile Text/Photo: 07876 131415
RSS Feeds