skip to main content

Accessibility and Display Options

Choose accessibility and display settings
Text Preferences
Colour Schemes
Save Close

Cookies and Privacy

This site uses cookies to store information on your computer

Some of these cookies are necessary to make the site work. We’d also like to use optional cookies to help improve your experience on the site. You can manage your optional cookie preferences below. Using this tool will set a cookie on your device to remember your preferences. Your preferences can be changed at any time.

For further details, see our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy

I AcceptI Do Not Accept


Essential cookies enable core functionality such as page navigation and access to secure areas. The website cannot function properly without these cookies; they can only be disabled by changing your browser preferences. Third party functions such as Google Search and Analytics will not be enabled.


Performance settings enable you to use the Google Search engine on our website and help us to improve our website by collecting and reporting information on its usage (for example, which of our pages are most frequently visited).

Save and Close


You are here: Home / Benefits

Who Can Claim?

Housing Benefit

You can claim Housing Benefit if you are responsible for paying the rent for your home to a private landlord, a housing association or the Council and you are either in specified supported accommodation or temporary accommodation. Remember you cannot claim Housing Benefit if you are receiving help with your housing costs within your Universal Credit.

If you and if applicable your partner are both of pensionable age then you can claim Housing Benefit if you are responsible for paying rent on your home to a private landlord, a housing association or the council.

Council Tax Support

You can claim Council Tax Support if you are the person (or one of the persons) who is responsible for paying the Council Tax for the property you live in.

If you are making a claim for Housing Benefit, you can make a claim for Council Tax Support on the same form. In general, the same information is required for us to be able to assess your claim. If you are told to make a claim for Universal Credit you will need to make a separate claim for Council Tax Support with Fareham Borough Council.

Who can not claim

You can not get Housing Benefit or Council Tax Support if:

If you are not sure whether you could claim Housing Benefit and/or Council Tax Support, please contact the Benefits Section for further information.

Back to Benefits Home Page

Back to top of page Back to Top How to get here
Fareham Borough Council, Civic Offices, Civic Way, Hampshire, PO16 7AZ
Tel: +44 (0) 1329 236100 | Mobile Text/Photo: 07860 098627
RSS Feeds