skip to main content

Accessibility and Display Options

Choose accessibility and display settings
Text Preferences
Colour Schemes
Save Close

Cookies and Privacy

This site uses cookies to store information on your computer

Some of these cookies are necessary to make the site work. We’d also like to use optional cookies to help improve your experience on the site. You can manage your optional cookie preferences below. Using this tool will set a cookie on your device to remember your preferences. Your preferences can be changed at any time.

For further details, see our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy

I AcceptI Do Not Accept


Essential cookies enable core functionality such as page navigation and access to secure areas. The website cannot function properly without these cookies; they can only be disabled by changing your browser preferences. Third party functions such as Google Search and Analytics will not be enabled.


Performance settings enable you to use the Google Search engine on our website and help us to improve our website by collecting and reporting information on its usage (for example, which of our pages are most frequently visited).

Save and Close


You are here: Home / Bereavement / Bereavement And Advice

Bereavement and advice

If a relative, loved one or friend has just passed away, you will be feeling a great sense of loss. However, you may need to deal with a number of practical matters. We have put together some information to help you at this difficult time.

Notifying Fareham Borough Council

You can use the Government's service for reporting a death External Hyperlink, which will notify the Council as part of its process. Alternatively you can contact us on 01329 236100. When notified we will pass on the details of the deceased to all of the relevant departments within the Council. You will also need to register the death with the registrar External Hyperlink.

What to do when someone dies

The things you need to do immediately after someone has died will depend on where their death has happened. This might be at home, in hospital or abroad. The Citizens Advice Bureau External Hyperlink offers a comprehensive guide about this.

If someone dies in hospital

Most deaths happen in a hospital or a nursing home. Hospital staff will arrange for the body to be taken to the hospital mortuary and will contact next of kin (this does not need to be a relative). The hospital will keep the body in the mortuary until it is collected by a funeral director and usually taken to a chapel of rest. The hospital will arrange for next of kin to collect any possessions. If you wish, you may ask to see a hospital Chaplain.

If someone dies at home

When someone dies at home, you should phone their GP so that he/she can issue a certificate giving the cause of death. If they were not registered with a GP, you should call for an ambulance.

If someone dies abroad

If someone dies abroad, it must be registered according to the law of that country. It should be reported to the British Consul External Hyperlink who may be able to arrange for it to be registered in the UK. The cost of returning a body to the UK is expensive but might be covered by travel insurance. If your relative was on a package holiday, the tour operator should be able to help with arrangements.

Expected death

If your relative has been ill and their death was expected, you should contact the doctor who had been treating them. If the cause of death can be certified, he/she will give you:

You may want to contact a Minister of Religion and a Funeral Director. If the death followed illness from HIV or Aids, there may be special rules about handling the body.

An unexpected death

If you discover a body or a death is sudden or unexpected, you should contact:

If you have any reason to suspect the death was not due to natural causes, do not touch or remove anything from the room. The doctor may ask relatives for permission to carry out a post mortem examination. This is a medical examination of the body to find out more about the cause of death and should not delay the funeral. The death may be referred to the Coroner.

Reporting the death to the Coroner

A doctor may report a death to the Coroner in any of these circumstances:

You will be told if the death is to be reported to the Coroner. If this happens, the death cannot be registered nor can the funeral take place without the Coroner's authorisation.  In these circumstances, the Coroner's Office will contact relatives. A Coroner can order a post-mortem examination without getting permission from relatives. It will try to determine the cause of death through an inquest.  When an inquest is called, the Coroner's Office will contact relatives and issue a death certificate. Relatives must register the death with the Registrar External Hyperlink but this cannot happen until an inquest ends. A certificate will normally be issued at the opening of the inquest so that the funeral can take place.

Coping with your loss

Coming to terms with your loss may be difficult but there are a number of organisations that can help, including Cruse Bereavement Care External Hyperlink or Counselling Directory External Hyperlink.

Further Information

Comprehensive information on the above and more is also available on the Government Directgov website External Hyperlink.


Back to top of page Back to Top How to get here
Fareham Borough Council, Civic Offices, Civic Way, Hampshire, PO16 7AZ
Tel: +44 (0) 1329 236100 | Mobile Text/Photo: 07860 098627
RSS Feeds