skip to main content

Accessibility and Display Options

Choose accessibility and display settings
Text Preferences
Colour Schemes
Save Close

Cookies and Privacy

This site uses cookies to store information on your computer

Some of these cookies are necessary to make the site work. We’d also like to use optional cookies to help improve your experience on the site. You can manage your optional cookie preferences below. Using this tool will set a cookie on your device to remember your preferences. Your preferences can be changed at any time.

For further details, see our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy

I AcceptI Do Not Accept


Essential cookies enable core functionality such as page navigation and access to secure areas. The website cannot function properly without these cookies; they can only be disabled by changing your browser preferences. Third party functions such as Google Search and Analytics will not be enabled.


Performance settings enable you to use the Google Search engine on our website and help us to improve our website by collecting and reporting information on its usage (for example, which of our pages are most frequently visited).

Save and Close


You are here: Home / Planning / Applications And Advice

Changes of use to state-funded schools

Changes from: a use falling within Classes B1 (Business), C1 (Hotels), C2 (Residential institutions), C2A (Secure Residential Institutions) or D2 (Assembly and Leisure).

To: use as a State-Funded School.

Note: if changes include any land, the land must be immediately surrounding a house or dwelling, including any closely associated buildings and structures, but excluding any associated "open fields beyond".

From 30 May 2013 to it will be permitted development to change the use of various buildings to a state funded school provided so long as:
(a) the site is not nor forms part of a military explosives storage area;
(b) the site is not nor forms part of a safety hazard area;
(c) the building is not a listed building or a scheduled monument.

Prior to undertaking the change of use the developer shall apply to the local planning authority for a determination as to whether the prior approval of the authority will be required as to:

a.   Transport and highways impacts of the development;
b.   Contamination risks on the site;
c.   Noise impacts of the development; and

If this does not occur the change of use will not be lawful. It is not possible to retrospectively do this and a full application for planning permission will be necessary.

This grant of planning permission is subject to Regulations 73 to 76 of the Conservation of Habitats and Species Regulations 2010 (as amended) which requires the Council to take into account whether the development would either on its own, or in combination, have a significant effect on a European Site. Where it is concluded that a significant effect on a European site would be likely the change of use would not be permitted development. You are strongly recommended to seek the opinion of Natural England as to whether your proposal is likely to have a significant effect on European sites.

There is an application form  PDF (180 KB) External Hyperlink for you to complete and send to us, to seek a determination as to whether prior approval will be required from Fareham Borough Council or not.

The form sets out the legislative requirements for an application. However, you should be aware that the Council can request further information to allow it to assess the impact of the proposed development on the above topics.

To avoid this and consequent delays in determining the matter, it is recommended that the following information is also submitted:


Back to top of page Back to Top How to get here
Fareham Borough Council, Civic Offices, Civic Way, Hampshire, PO16 7AZ
Tel: +44 (0) 1329 236100 | Mobile Text/Photo: 07860 098627
RSS Feeds