skip to main content

Accessibility and Display Options

Choose accessibility and display settings
Text Preferences
Colour Schemes
Save Close

Cookie preferences

We and our partners use technologies such as cookies on our site to enhance your user experience, personalise content and analyse our traffic.

Accept the recommended settings to consent to the use of this technology on our site.

To change your consent choices at any time please use the toggles below.

For further details, see our Cookie Policy

Accept recommended settings

Essential cookies

Essential cookies enable core functionality such as page navigation and access to secure areas. The website cannot function properly without these cookies; they can only be disabled by changing your browser preferences.

Performance cookies

Performance cookies help us to improve our website by collecting and reporting information on its usage (for example, which of our pages are most frequently visited).

Save and Close


You are here: Home / Waste Collection And Recycling / Recycling / What Can I Recycle

What we can't accept in blue lid recycling binsPile of mixed plastic items

These things should be put in your refuse bin so that they can be burned cleanly and electricity generated for the National Grid in one of three energy recovery facilities:

Plastic bags - All recyclables must be loose as machinery at the sorting plant can't open bags. The only exception is clear plastic sacks which are opened if staff can see that contents are recyclable. We do not recycle the plastic bags themselves.

Any plastic other than bottles - There are difficulties sorting other plastics, and limited facilities for recycling plastics other than bottles. You can see more information on plastics

tetraShredded paper - This gets blown around the sorting plant and is lost. It can be put in a home composter where it works well mixed with grass. You can get more information about shredded paper.

Tetra Paks (cartons, e.g. drink cartons) – There are limited facilities for recycling these which are a mixture of card, plastic film and aluminium. We are looking at other options but we need to take into consideration the energy and water used in recycling it, compared to recovering the energy via incineration.

Glass - Glass shards ruin newspaper if they are put in the recycling bin together. Please recycle at a glass bank or put in your household refuse.

For more information please email or call us on 01329 236100.

Back to top of page Back to Top How to get here
Fareham Borough Council, Civic Offices, Civic Way, Hampshire, PO16 7AZ
Tel: +44 (0) 1329 236100 | Mobile Text/Photo: 07876 131415
RSS Feeds