skip to main content

Accessibility and Display Options

Choose accessibility and display settings
Text Preferences
Colour Schemes
Save Close

Cookies and Privacy

This site uses cookies to store information on your computer

Some of these cookies are necessary to make the site work. We’d also like to use optional cookies to help improve your experience on the site. You can manage your optional cookie preferences below. Using this tool will set a cookie on your device to remember your preferences. Your preferences can be changed at any time.

For further details, see our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy

I AcceptI Do Not Accept


Essential cookies enable core functionality such as page navigation and access to secure areas. The website cannot function properly without these cookies; they can only be disabled by changing your browser preferences. Third party functions such as Google Search and Analytics will not be enabled.


Performance settings enable you to use the Google Search engine on our website and help us to improve our website by collecting and reporting information on its usage (for example, which of our pages are most frequently visited).

Save and Close


You are here: Home / Benefits / Appeals

What if I disagree with the Council Tax Support decision?

When we have worked out how much Council Tax Support you are entitled to, we will write to you with the details. If you think any of the information we have used is wrong, or if you disagree with our decision, you can:

You should do this within one month of the date on your letter.

Statement of reasons

The statement of reasons will show more details about the decision that has been made and explain the reasons for it.

Internal review

If you are still unhappy with the decision, you can ask us to look at it again. You must request this within one month of the date on the original decision notice. Your case will be looked at again by a different Council Tax Support officer to see if it was correct. If it is determined that the original decision was incorrect, it will be amended and a letter will be sent to you to explain the new decision. If however, it is determined that the original decision was correct, a letter will be sent to you explaining the reasons and you can then appeal to the Valuation Tribunal Service.

Independent Tribunal

An appeal must be made in writing to the Valuation Tribunal Service.  The tribunal will only hear appeals about:

The tribunal cannot hear appeals about the contents of our local Council Tax Support scheme, only about the way the scheme has been applied to your individual case.

More information about Council Tax Support appeals can be found on the Valuation Tribunal Service website External Hyperlink


Back to top of page Back to Top How to get here
Fareham Borough Council, Civic Offices, Civic Way, Hampshire, PO16 7AZ
Tel: +44 (0) 1329 236100 | Mobile Text/Photo: 07860 098627
RSS Feeds