Accessibility and Display Options

Choose accessibility and display settings
Text Preferences
Colour Schemes
Save Close


What if I disagree with the Housing Benefit decision?

When we have worked out how much Housing Benefit you are entitled to, we will write to you with the details. If you think any of the information we have used is wrong, or if you disagree with our decision, you can:

You must do this within one month of the date on your letter.

Statement of reasons

The statement of reasons will show more details about the decision that has been made and explain the reasons for it.

Internal review

If you are still unhappy with the decision, you can ask us to look at it again. You must request this within one month of the date on the original decision notice. Your case will be looked at again by a different Housing Benefit officer to see if it is correct. If it is determined that the original decision was incorrect, it will be amended and a letter will be sent to you to explain the new decision. If however, it is determined that the original decision was correct, a letter will be sent to you explaining the reasons and you will be given a further month to appeal to the Tribunals Service.

Independent Tribunal

An appeal must be made in writing with your reasons for the appeal. This appeal will then be forwarded to the Tribunal Service, who will make a decision at a tribunal hearing, made up of people who are independent of the Benefits Service. Their decision will be based on the evidence, the law and the circumstances at the time the original decision was made. More information can be found on the Tribunal Service External Hyperlink website.

You can not appeal against:


Back to top of page Back to Top How to get here RSS Feeds